Fender/Roland G-5

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by eclecto-acoustic, Jan 23, 2012.

1. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

Am I the only one here who looks at the VG Strat (particularly the newest one) and kinda shakes my head?

People tend to jump on Line 6 for their tendency towards hyperbole...but Roland/Fender is making it sound like they are the only ones doing the multi-axe thing. They are in direct competition with the Variax, yet at this year's NAMM, they played catch-up instead of bringing the heat. Fewer features overall, including models, tuning options, body styles...what gives?

I kinda have to wonder why they bothered.

2. germanicus

germanicus Member

The funny thing is, the 'new' g-5 is not even 'caught up' to the James Tyler Variax.

Its the same feature set as the original VG Strat they put out several years ago.

The bridge is different, and its being sold by roland, but it appears the feature set is identical.

The 'real' possible competition to the JTV from Namm are Peavey's and Parkers respective guitars that employ the new Autotune for guitar functions (instant polyphonic digital alternate tuning and pitch correction).

3. jbealsmusic

jbealsmusic Member

I'm actually really looking forward to trying these guitars out... The realtime intonation correction is a pretty solid feature. As long as the modeling is ok and the alternate tunings are customizable/saveable, I would replace a Variax with one of these. Another advantage is that it is MIDI controllable, so you're not stuck using L6 proprietary stuff all the time.

4. dognmoon

dognmoon Supporting Member

I'm a happy JTV user, but I can very much see the value in a modeling guitar with a traditional shape and form factor. I've heard a handful of guys say that they can't get along with the look of the Tyler Variax. It's my opinion that the Roland G-5 Strat would speak to these guys much more effectively.