Fender Rosewood Tele: Hard to read ink stamped neck pocket serial number

caseygree

Silver Supporting Member
howdy
I have a one-off Fender Custom Shop solid rosewood tele (no pancake) with rosewood neck. It was likely built by a Fender CS employee in the mid-to-late 90s as a personal guitar.

The guitar has no outer markings, but the neck pocket has a clearly visible CS insignia, and several other letters/numerals stamped, some that are damn near impossible to read.

Can anyone suggest a technique (lighting?) that can be used to read these “invisible” serial numbers?

Thanks
Case

Last edited:

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
Try UV light, or a very strong blue-light source (maybe a Keeley pedal?)

look for something at 480 nm wavelength or so.
At work, our dental-composite curing lights run at about 480 nm, often times it will highlight an ink as a bright light blue.
But consider some eye protection.... orange lenses.

Another idea is to try some polarized lenses... fishing sunglasses.

I haven't had much luck with strong white-light sources... they aren't selective enough to bring out any contrast.

.. there are some of those 'footlight' LED tubes that are used for lighting up pedal boards... if you have access to one, try it.
Look for bright, single-spectrum colors. Again, I think Blue is the most revealing, but try what you got.

woof*

Email Fender custom shop with the pictures and all info.
Maybe you can find that employee.

juri

Silver Supporting Member
I just googled fender custom shop stamp, this is one of the images that came back.

caseygree

Silver Supporting Member
Juri, thanks so much. And everyone else too. Ask, and you shall receive.

I reached out to CS customer service first, and they were able to verify it was custom shop build standards, from the mid-to-late 90s, but no guesses on who built it.

Thanks again!

Trending Topics