Fender SC PU Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by wavey63, Jan 16, 2008.

1. wavey63

wavey63 Member

I have a set of 57/62's and was wondering if how to tell if they are wired in series or paralel?

2. Chikn

Chikn Gold Supporting Member

Not sure how you mean it, but 1) They're single-coils, so there is no series/parallel. 2) If you wire them in the normal strat fashion, the two-pickup combinations on the 5-way switch are parallel. HTH

3. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Do you mean "is the middle pickup RWRP"? just look at the solder points on the bobbin. If the white and black wires are all on the same sides then it's a straight wound set. I've been using these more and more lately - I really like the way they sound in the #2 & #4 positions as opposed to RWRP. I think the quack is more genuine - just like Leo designed them.

4. Chikn

Chikn Gold Supporting Member

The reason they weren't RW/RP is because they were meant to be used one at a time. Until 1977, Strats had a 3-position switch, which didn't allow for the in-between sounds. Many Japanese copies had been using 5-position switches for several years by that time. Leo Fender preferred the sound of one pickup at a time, which is why Strats (and in to some degree Teles) couldn't mix pickups.

5. wavey63

wavey63 Member

I guess I should explain my intentions so that there is a bit less confusion. I want to add a switch for each PU's phase a'la Brian May and noticed that all of the diagrams I came up with had the PU's in series. I already have it somewhat planned out with a 5way and an on/off to add B/n and B/M/N already installed but wanted to add the phase for the May sound. I kinda feel sleazv trying to mimmic another ones way of business but really want to add that May overtone to my setup. I was also going to try if with stacked HB's but decided against it as I have heard that they pickups can get weak sounding. Again, an help would be delicious!?!:horse