Fender Sergio Vallin Signature: Play or Pass

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by antics31, Mar 1, 2015.

1. antics31

antics31 Member

2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

The Prodigy lives!*

*Fender model circa 90.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

4. kdc113

kdc113 Member

I`m from Mexico, I don´t really like Mana, only the first two or three CDs, and Sergio Vallin came to the band after that. I`ll pass from his model, he uses wathever super strat he can get trought his hands, even use a PRS given to him by Carlos Santana. In some ways he figures to me like the Richie Sambora from Mexico, not in sound, but in the way he change styles of guitars.

macmax77 likes this.
  5. antics31

antics31 Member

Thanks for the feedback! The first thought that came to mind when I saw a picture of this guitar is that it looks a little like a PRS and it has a rotary switch like the older PRS's.

For those of us not familiar with his sound or Mana, I did find their page on Spotify--now free with advertisements--but the sound of the group is not driven like you would expect from a super strat. It is a good sound but not a driven sound if that makes sense.

6. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I just think the guitar is cool. Great shape and some quality hardware for the $799 price (American Deluxe trem and locking tuners).

7. TheFlyingBear

TheFlyingBear Member

I think that's a good looking guitar. I like how everything besides the headstock is new: the body shape (which I like), pickguard, little control plate, and the bridge plate. I'm not sure what the purpose of the bridge plate is, but I guess it looks cool.

No backplate for the trem cavity is interesting. Also, I assumed it was all top routed, but it looks like it is routed from both sides. There are no visible screws for the little control plate, so I wonder if that is glued on?

8. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I think it's an excellent price for something coming out of Mexico that has all of the upgrades I would have probably done anyways. I've been really impressed with the Mexican Fenders as of late.

I love HSS guitars! I wish it had a tone control though.

9. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Looks good, thats for sure.

10. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Member

Interesting guitar and interesting player. I believe he had been using a Suhr.

Here's a video demo which gives you an idea of the pickups' versatility.

11. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

Listen Ive been a Mana fan and Sergio fan for over 20 years. Sergio is considered a great guitarist in the Latin world...plus his forte is actually classical guitar...the man is a beast. Now onto the guitar....I like it but not to the point where I will buy it. I applaud his effort to make his signature guitar at the reach of his fan base but I would have prefer a custom shop, more exclusive model. Still it's very nice but I know what Sergio plays...in reality he will not use this guitar. He records with vintage Fenders, Suhrs, Prs....live he plays mostly Fenders, Gibsons, and Suhrs.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  12. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

It's the first new model in years that I've actually said looks great and "right". Most newer shapes turn me off if they aren't Tele/Strat/LP/ES types, and this one just works. I think I'd be more worried about the wiring and missing tone control. But the body and neck design look great.

13. drod1985

drod1985 Member

I dig the body shape and features. I've always been a fan of offset takes on Strats, and this pulls it off really well.

Or since it looks to be rear routed as well it could be held on by the pots.

14. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I'd like to inspect that unusual bridge and actually play the guitar in anger.

No way IMO to really know if this bridge will work for Player X, unless he or someone he knows well gives it the full going over.

15. drod1985

drod1985 Member

It looks to be a standard modern bridge but with an additional plate underneath it. Just ornamental/decorative.

16. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

It looks like a mashup between a Strat, a Jazzmaster and a Blade Daytona, but not unattractive. Judging by the video, it sounds ok too, but that bridge is bizarre ( I assume that upbending results in a loud clank?)

17. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    I've never heard of Vallin, but this model is peaking my interest. One cool feature is the pull out volume switch that overrides the rotary pup selector letting you toggle the bridge pup with the rotary setting. The trem and the locking tuners for a good overall price.

These MIM fenders are looking pretty good lately.

Hmmm

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  18. Fu Schnickens

Fu Schnickens Member

It's about time Fender came up with a new design that doesn't look like poo. I like it. Not enough to buy it, but I like it.

And props to the Mexican getting a signature model. Echale, vato!

19. monty

monty Member

I'd love to try it.

20. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    I ordered one :)

I've been looking for a Strat like guitar with a rosewood fretboard that's not an actual Strat for awhile. I have another MIM SSS Strat with a maple fretboard that I really like. So, this will be another option.

Hopefully I like the pups because finding the right replacements could be tricky with the wiring setup and no tone control. But I'll see...