Fender shopping in NYC

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by haslar, Aug 18, 2008.

1. haslar

haslar Member

I'am currently planning a trip from France to NYC with my beloved for October or November.
    It would be nice to find a good guitar store so that I can pick & choose the right Strat for me, so that I can bring it back (or have it sent) over to France.

If you know about NYC stores, can you please school me on the right stores to go to for buying Fenders?
    I searched the Web a bit and found the following (excluding Guitar Centres):
    Sam Ash Music
    Music Zoo
    Alto Music
    Big Apple Music
    Manny's Music
    Matt Umanov Guitars
    Ludlow Guitars
    Rudys Music Stop
    House Of Guitars
    Mandolin Bros.

Any help would be welcome.
    :eek:

Also, any suggestion for going out in the evening - jazz, blues clubs and the like?

2. turtlesoup

turtlesoup Member

Don't forget to go to 30th st. guitars.

In Brooklyn you have Main Drag Music and Southside Guitars, both in Williamsburg.

3. Amplite

Amplite Member

DO check out 48th St!! Mannys, Rudys, Sam Ash for the legendary history alone.
    The Music Zoo out in Queens has a great selection of Fenders - their web site is cool!
    I miss NY!

4. davidos

davidos Supporting Member

Manny's is not what it used to be... let's just leave it at that... Just go accross the street to Sam Ash and they have a better selection of Custom Shop Strats, etc.

Guitar Center on 14th has an amazong room of vintage guitars and about 10-15 Custom Shop guitars...

Music Zoo looks like they have a lot but I have never been there.

5. aram

aram Member

i live in nyc.

these are the only shops I go to. The rest, IMHO, are over priced, rude, or a combination of both.

30th Street Guitars.

Carmine Street Guitars (try out one of Rick's guitars and you won't buy a Fender!)

South Side Guitars and Main Drag in Williamsburg

First Flight Music.

Retrofret is also amazing, though their stuff is all vintage and expensive.

http://www.retrofret.com/

6. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Alto Music and House of Guitars are not even remotely near NYC (although they are both great shops).

For my money, I'd start with 30th Street Guitars and Matt Umanov's. I've also heard great things about Mandolin Bro's but I've not been there. Also worth a trip is Dan's Chelsea Guitars, but they don't have as much inventory as some of the others.

Stormin!

7. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

Make sure you check out the Music Zoo. Great store & I had great experiences with the guys there

8. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't leave out Manny's. They have a nice room in the back now with some really nice stuff.

9. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

If you do go to the music zoo, look at the website first and call them ahead of time to let them know what you want to check out. Their warehouse is not in the same place as the store and they don't have a whole lot in the store.

10. acemcguire

acemcguire Supporting Member

I bought some stuff over the phone from from Ludlow Guitars and they seemed pretty cool. Sam Ash, Manny's, etc. were fun to browse, but I never purchased anything there.

I'd highly recommend you catch Les Paul at the Iridium Jazz Club. He plays every Monday and he's just as amazing as ever. http://www.iridiumjazzclub.com/

Looks like they get some other cool acts in there as well.

11. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Just came back from Manny's - they had a lineup of new Suhr, PRS, Rickenbacker, custom Gibbies and Fenders, even a used Terry McInturff (did I spell that right?) It looks like it's doing just fine to me.

Anyhow If you're going to go the international route, fly over from France, pick out a nice used vintage axe at 30th Street Guitars, pay in cash up front for a good deal, have them ship it back to France, and there you go.

12. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

Alto Music in Middletown, NY is an hour from NYC, but it is a BIG, MASSIVE store! They have new 2008 Fender Tele's & Strats in stock, as well as the prior American Series models. They also have a number of (expensive) relic models, Custom Shop stuff, etc. Oh, their prices routinely beat anything online.

Their website is http://www.altomusic.com/

13. teleking36

teleking36 Member

30th st. always had killer fender stuff when i'd visit. i haven't been there in about a year, but it's one of the few stores I enjoy going back to. great vintage fender amps too, as well as a big pedal selection.

14. KennethC

KennethC Member

just popped by manny's recently. Vincent was an extremely cool guy, great service, humble and friendly. The pony-tailed hair dude was alright but had some airs, and this better-than-thou attitude. The bigger and more senior guy, who looked like he could be the boss, was friendly but not anywhere as unassuming as Vincent was. The latter two seemed like they had some agenda beneath their veneer of politeness. I quite enjoyed their selection of guitars in the back room nonetheless, albeit the smewhat high prices. Didn't sound like the prices could be negotiated much either, but I didn't push it.

15. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

I have had great service at MusicZoo and have done great deals with those guys, good prices and good people.

16. Stormin

Doesn't Sam Ash own Manny's now? Thought they bought em a few years back.

17. Blueser

Blueser Member

Yes.....But they left Manny's alone, as opposed to assimilating them to their standard model. Manny's carries a different lineup of stuff than your standard Sam Ash lineup, and the vibe is different. I think this was a smart marketing move on their part, as Manny's has always had that legendary mystique as one of the NYC meccas for music gear.

18. Stormin

I know they always had the mystique, but thru the 80's and 90's they rarely had any notable gear - most of it was always current, off the shelf stuff. Back then, I remember 48th Street Guitars had "the stuff".

Stormin!

19. trisonic

trisonic Member

They usually have a fair selection of Custom Shop stuff at Mandolin Bros - increasingly that store reminds me of TGP, relaxed, eccentric staff, laid back and full of old farts!

Best, Pete.

20. whitehall

whitehall Member

Be sure to ask to see the actual Hendrix strat. Every store in NYC has at least one.