1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Fender Showman Rules

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzilla, Aug 27, 2008.

1. jzilla

jzilla Member

i picked up a blackface showman recently. good price, pretty funky, had been in a fire and needed a little bit of work. got it back from amp guru blackie pagano and i am so insanely satisfied. imo it is the perfect amp for funk. headroom for days but still has awesome color/attitude/warmth/chime, takes pedals beautifully, extremely dynamic and responsive... the amp just disappears and let's the music through without a fight. that's the best i can explain it right now. i've never had an amp with endless headroom like this. it is such a joy to play. these amps are unsung heros. a reverbless vintage twin in a head! and for MUCH less than a boutique (and many non-boutique) amps.

just had to share my excitement with people who might care.

[​IMG]
    -j

2. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I used to have a twin someone had mounted in a head box that looked exactly like that, it had been modded severely, I had it put back to original before I gave it to a friend who subsequently died.

3. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

I'm thinking of picking up a Dual Showman. I believe Dual Showmans are only available in SF, is that correct? How do they compare to Bandmasters -- anyone play both?

4. johnzias

johnzias Member

Dual Showmans were made during the Blackface era as well.

5. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

6. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Better off with a bassman or a bandmaster IMO! Less wattage better breakup. Unless of course you are playing 3000+ seating venues.

7. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

Unless you don't want breakup. :hide

8. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

True!!

9. jzilla

jzilla Member

yeah, i'm all about the clean headroom. this thing cuts without any harshness...

10. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

My buddy has a Showman head that he had put into a cab with 2 offset 12's.

Basically a Twin without 'verb. It is heavenly--after two trips to the amp Doctor.

Nice to know you have the horsepower if you need it and it doesn't sound anemic at 4 or 5 on the volume like some Twins can.

11. jzilla

jzilla Member

good point. i stay around 3 at practice and it's full bodied and PLENTY loud! for solos i use a boost and have more than enough volume on tap. the sound doesn't get mushy, just louder... i'm loving this setup!

12. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

EC on the Dominoes live album is a good example of a Showman cranked. Great amp.
    Enjoy.

13. bosstone

bosstone Member

A Twin sounding Anemic?, neither of my two black face twins ever sounded anything approaching anemic. There wasn't much point in going much beyond 3 or so though the way their pots were tapered. Not to take anything away from Showman amps though, I just loved the reverb or the Twins.