• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fender showman vs dual showman: difference?

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
I might be picking up a Fender showman amp. I was thinking it was a dual showman...but it just says "showman" on the front. Its older. (60's). Whats the difference?

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks. Prices seem to be all over the board for these.... I'm looking at a mid 60's blackface blonde one....

rockstarjay

I could never win any auction on one of these (I usually bid on blackface ones). I finally just went with two bassman heads instead of 1 showman.

Good luck.

waxnsteel

It's either blackface or blonde. On a blackface there won't be numbers on the faceplate around the knobs. On BFs, the numbers are on the knobs.

This one's blonde

This one's blackface

This is blackface with blonde tolex

Blonds have brownfaces and no brightswitches.

ROKY

As already stated :

Single Showman amp has an 8 ohm output transformer
Dual Showman, the 4 ohm transformer

I have an early 1968 SF Showman, which still has the BF circuit,
and it's a great amp, with the classic BIG Fender tone - tight, focused
clean tone that holds together at higher volumes and will show some
slight hair and grit if pushed by a humbucker loaded guitar.

The middle control is also very useful as it can add body to the clean
tones, and with the treble rolled back to, say, "5" on the dial it really
helps the amp breakup more @ higher volumes [by cranking the mids].

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
It's either blackface or blonde. On a blackface there won't be numbers on the faceplate around the knobs. On BFs, the numbers are on the knobs.

This one's blonde

This one's blackface

This is blackface with blonde tolex

Blonds have brownfaces and no brightswitches.
Its blackface with blonde tolex.

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
GRAB IT ! :cool:
I 'm trying to... The issue now is if he's going to stick with the deal or if he's going to sell to someone who will take "all" his stuff....

I aint got 8K to stick into the vintage guitar he's selling aslo.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
That'll work good.
BTW: how you tell a Showman from a Dual Showman is the
4 ohm OT is either 022889 or 125A29A, and the
8 ohm OT would be 022897 or 125A30A.

teledeluxe

Ditto. Some Showman heads have the 4-ohm transformer like the Dual Showman. I think they started shipping some Dual Showman amps before they ever printed it on the Faceplate. You might want to check the output transformer code prior to buying a '64 or '65 Showman to make sure it has the transformer you are looking for.

oceantracks

I am getting a Showman dated 8/65, it says "SHOWMAN" on it, but the output transformer is 125A29A, which I read is for the Dual. Could this be one of those Showman's that were really Dual Showmans? If so, is it safe to hook up to an 8 ohm 2*12 cab?

Thanks
Tom

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
It'll be fine, like I said. I run my four ohm Showman head into one 8-ohm EV at gigs all night long.

oceantracks

It'll be fine, like I said. I run my four ohm Showman head into one 8-ohm EV at gigs all night long.
Are all 8 ohm cabs equal?

For instance, the new Bandmaster VM cab has two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel. So it's called an 8 ohm cab.

When I wrote to Fender to ask if it would be safe to use with a Dual Showman head they wrote back and said "No, it will blow up the amp. You need two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel."

Confused.

TH

Beam Tetrode

Two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel is 4 ohms.

Yes, there are quite a few dual showmans that just say showman on the faceplate. It's always best to check the output transformer number to determine impedance.

Daytona57

I have a Fender PA 100, when I bought it, there was very little info on the net.

I understood, that the PA 100 head, 4 channel pa, was a variation of the Showman.

It has marvelous, Fender cleans and takes pedals very well as a pa.

YMMV

Trending Topics