• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fender Silverface Vibrolux Speaker Change!

Sammy

What 10" speakers would you recommend to improve the overall sound on my Vibrolux also giving me more clean headroom as they break up too soon for my liking!

Thanks

doublee

In my 2 BF's are variously Weber 10F150T, Naylor SD40, and Tone Tubby ceramic and all sound great...to me.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I would e-mail Ted Weber and ask, but I think the Weber 10F150's would work well, they are pretty punchy.

I am assuming you are looking for more the traditional speaker that matches up with a Fender.

If not check out the Eminence line, like the Ragin Cajun

Sammy

I would e-mail Ted Weber and ask, but I think the Weber 10F150's would work well, they are pretty punchy.

I am assuming you are looking for more the traditional speaker that matches up with a Fender.

If not check out the Eminence line, like the Ragin Cajun

I read somwhere on an earlier post that the Weber 10f150's sound too bright! It doesn't matter what make they are as long as it gives me more clean headroom with the smoother American sound, not too ice picky, and not the celestion British gritty sound!

CitizenCain

Sounds like you're describing the Emi Ragin' Cajun or Copperhead. From what I've read, the Copperhead is better if you like to play straight into the amp, the Cajun better if you like to employ OD pedals. You could also consider the Legend 105 which I've found to be a very nice all-around speaker.

Timinator

Silver Supporting Member
Do a search on this too, there is a ton of good archived stuff on this exact topic.

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
I had a Weber 10f150, and a 10a125 in a '73 vibrolux and it sounded amazing. You need to allow for break-in with the speakers, but those two were like butter in that amp. No ice pick. Then again, I had RCA black plates and all NOS preamp tubes as well. It was an amazing setup.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
What 10" speakers would you recommend to improve the overall sound on my Vibrolux also giving me more clean headroom as they break up too soon for my liking!

Thanks
What speakers are in it now? The 10F150 is real nice as well as the Eminence Legend 105.

JDJ

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a set of Weber 10F150 and 10F150T in my BF Vibrolux Reverb. Sounds fantastic and better than the tired, original Jensen gold-label C10Ns.

Sammy

What speakers are in it now? The 10F150 is real nice as well as the Eminence Legend 105.
If think they were CTS or Oxfords. I actually haven't got the amp yet. I sold it to someone I know 11years ago and he recently emailed me asking if i knew anyone who wanted it. I said I might be interested myself so he offered it to me for a very good price so I said I would buy it back as I realise now with the right speakers it will sound great!:drool

The only reason I sold it in the first place was because I didn't care much for the speakers plus it broke up too early. Back then there wasn't much choice of 10" speakers, plus probably couldn't be bothered so bought something else. Now with the vast array of different speakers I thought I would check out whilst waiting to see what you guys think are best so I can be ready to sort it out as soon as I get it, as I know I still won't like the stock speakers!

earthmud

Gold Supporting Member
I have a 10f150 in my 72vlx and it's not to bright by any means. I also have a rajun cajun in it and the two sound great together. Options I would also consider would be
10f150&10f150t
10f150& RC
10f150&10a125
10f150&10a150.

I would use one 10f150 for sure.
I read somwhere on an earlier post that the Weber 10f150's sound too bright! It doesn't matter what make they are as long as it gives me more clean headroom with the smoother American sound, not too ice picky, and not the celestion British gritty sound!

illini

71 Vibrolux owner here with Celestion Vintage 10's. Very Nice. With a strat, breaks up at 5, with a Les Paul around 4.

steadygarcia

My SF VR came with a pair of Celestion G10-50's that were the wrong impedance, although, I have to say they sounded killer in it. I replaced them with Jensen P10R reissues and I've been pretty happy with them.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I have a 10f150 in my 72vlx and it's not to bright by any means. I also have a rajun cajun in it and the two sound great together. Options I would also consider would be
10f150&10f150t
10f150& RC
10f150&10a125
10f150&10a150.

I would use one 10f150 for sure.
Have you tried an a 10F150 with either a 10A125 or 10A150? I would be worried that the ceramic magnet speaker would dominate in efficiency over the alnico magnet speaker.

foo_3001

Have you tried an a 10F150 with either a 10A125 or 10A150? I would be worried that the ceramic magnet speaker would dominate in efficiency over the alnico magnet speaker.
I had a 10F150T and a 10A125 for a while in my ´76 VR. Now I must honestly say that the 10A125 is absolutely NOT a good speaker in a Vibrolux. Even the 30-watt version breaks up way too early, and the speaker sounds just, well, not musical in that amp.

I sold it after a few gigs and a studio session, it just doesn´t sound right in that amp. In a tweed it´s probably magnificent as it´s advertised. I heard it (as I sold it) in a 2 watt Valco amp, and it sounded absolutely beautiful. It just doesn´t have the headroom a VR needs IMHO.

I went back to a 10F150T & Ragin Cajun combo - the RC is not the perfect speaker for everything, but as it´s broken in it´s actually pretty decent - and it´s priced accordingly aswell. Don´t let the first week fool you - it WILL start to compress pretty nicely when given it´s time.

Sammy

Sounds like you're describing the Emi Ragin' Cajun or Copperhead. From what I've read, the Copperhead is better if you like to play straight into the amp, the Cajun better if you like to employ OD pedals. You could also consider the Legend 105 which I've found to be a very nice all-around speaker.
Listened to all the above on the Emi site all in all liked the Legend 105 best, plus they are quite a lot cheaper than the others!

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I had a 10F150T and a 10A125 for a while in my ´76 VR. Now I must honestly say that the 10A125 is absolutely NOT a good speaker in a Vibrolux. Even the 30-watt version breaks up way too early, and the speaker sounds just, well, not musical in that amp.

I sold it after a few gigs and a studio session, it just doesn´t sound right in that amp. In a tweed it´s probably magnificent as it´s advertised. I heard it (as I sold it) in a 2 watt Valco amp, and it sounded absolutely beautiful. It just doesn´t have the headroom a VR needs IMHO.

I went back to a 10F150T & Ragin Cajun combo - the RC is not the perfect speaker for everything, but as it´s broken in it´s actually pretty decent - and it´s priced accordingly aswell. Don´t let the first week fool you - it WILL start to compress pretty nicely when given it´s time.
So were the 10F150T and 10A125 about the same efficiency or volume?

I actually have a brown 1960 Super which is also a 210 like the vibrolux reverb. Mine is in a head cab, but I am getting a repro cab for it built.

I would love to have a vibrolux reverb though, until then my Bandmaster reverb will have to do the trick....

foo_3001

So were the 10F150T and 10A125 about the same efficiency or volume?
They were pretty close, I think. Of course, the F is more efficient, has more bass and is a bit "quicker" than the A. So even though they were close enough in volume, I think the F overpowered the A in performance. If you know what I mean.

I don´t think it´s a good idea to mix a 150 and a 125 though. The 150 has more headroom, and the 125 breaks up real easy. So it´s a strange combination in my opinion.

Trending Topics