Fender / Spector / Alembic - sound samples

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by SamJ, Apr 9, 2015.

1. SamJ

SamJ Member

This is my feeble attempt to get some tonal / sound samples of my 3 basses. I have no fancy recording gear so it's recorded on an iPhone 6 over the air.. Playing thru a Mesa tube rig at VERY low volume so as not to overdrive the mic on the phone, nor piss off the wife.. I'm just playing some pentatonic scales that do for warmups and exercises, sorry I'm not that melodic, but the idea is to get the tone and not dance to it..

The strings are all relative same age Dean Markley Helix, the EQ is flat on the basses, with volume max, and the EQ is scooped mids on the amp.

Using a 3Leaf Enabler Pre-amp, and a Keeley Bass Compression

The particulars of my basses are in my signature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfpmknGH90

2. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

Spector wins in my opinion! Seems to have the fattest/most-ballsy tone, would you agree?

UncleDuke likes this.
  3. SamJ

SamJ Member

You know... I enjoy how it plays the best for sure... the tone is good, but a bit thin.. If I pull down the treble and up the bass, it's better but then I loose definition and get lost in the mix...

To be fair to the Alembic in this video, I'd just had it for 2 days and was still not sure how the knobs work... see, they're not "Bass / Treble" knobs like on the other basses, they're "Low Pass" and "High Pass" filters.. with Q swtiches to boot.. I was effectively "Compressing" the signal and limiting the lows and highs potential from the bass. I might try re-recording the Alembic again later..

The Fender of course sounds unique due to the Joe Barden's and Sadowsky pre... not like your typical Jazz... plus the addition of the Ebony fretboard totally changes it.