Fender Squier guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 900, Jan 16, 2008.

1. 900

900 Member

I bought a blonde Fender Squier 51 through mailorder back in early 2005 - must have been shortly after they first came out - and I wasn't too thrilled about it. Sound was rather lifeless and dull. Neck had some issues/humps, some uneven frets and a lot of fret ends were sticking out. Nut would have needed to be replaced etc.
    Sold it shortly after.

About one year ago I went into a local musicstore to check out some Strats and Teles. After a while I saw that in the back they also had tree Squier 51's, two in blonde and one in sunburst. I thought let's give it another try ....and WOW....all tree where absolutely killer. Perfect necks (really), straight as an arrow, absolutely no fret issues, no maxed truss rod. In fact, the truss rod on all tree models (009 strings) was only slightly tighted and had miles left to adjust for heavier gauge if needed. Also, all tree sounded very good and resonant even unamplified.

Anyway, I played them for a while, choose the one that had the most balanced and "wiriest" sound for my taste - although all were very close - and bought it. The price was a no-brainer, the sound was great and the neck really felt so smooth in the hand that I simply couldn't justify the extra dough just for having the Fender MIM/MIA stamp on the headstock that day.

I decided to wait a bit before I write a review of the fiddle and to see how it does hold up. Until now, absolutely no issues. Neck is stable, no sticky fret ends due shrink or swell of the wood, no truss rod tweaks needed. I had to adjust the intonation when new and the plastic nut and the bridge are probably the only things you could call a bit cheesy and on the lower side of the spectrum. Pots etc. are not premium quality, but they ain't junk either and do their job without issues. Tuners etc. work well and stay in tune. The PUP's are VERY good for the price range, especially the bridge HB, and I don't feel the need to replace them whatsoever.

Summary:

All tree Squier '51's were made in Indonesia, S/N starting with IC0608xxxxx. Now I don't know if it was pure coincidende that the tree models in that musicstore were that good, but I can tell you that they had a bunch of MIM or MIA Teles/Strats in stock and they didn't have tree of them that had the same great neck/sound/feel combo, and I checked them all that day. If this is what you can expect from an Indonesian made Squier today, all I can say is holy crap, Batman, and if it was like this, they've improved the quality of their guitars not by only a notch or two. If they have been chatching up to that level today, the bang for the buck is ridiculous.

This is by no means a MIM or MIA bash by the way, I own a EJ Strat and a PRS CU22 and like them very much, thank you.

Here's some pics (check out the neck - they were all like this!!!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

I have two Squiers that I'm quite fond of.

The Vintage Modified Tele Thinline is MIC.

[​IMG]

This HH Strat was made in Indonesia.

[​IMG]

3. Number8

Number8 Member

I can;'t seem to show an attachment so what ever!:D

4. jda

jda Member

I've got a bunch of squier 51s that I am doing various experiments on. Fun guitars, and a great value!

5. fish78

fish78 Member

Where can you find Squier 51s now? I thought hey were out of production.

6. jda

jda Member

Sam Ash had them for $99 for the longest time, but it looks like they are sold out now. Ebay maybe?

7. Number8

Number8 Member

I have a Floyd Rose guitar that I bought at Musicians Friend for 125 dollars. I routed it out and installed EMG active pups in it. I also added a low voltage battery indicator led. It is still is a cheap guitar. It plays nicer but it's not an Ibanez Jem. It never will be. Why folks want to believe there is a shortcut to well crafted guitars is beyond me. You get what you pay for. It is that simple.It was a cool project toy that sounds good but it simply is not a well made high end guitar.

8. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

I'm partial to early Japanese(JV)Squire's.All 83's [​IMG]

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Let's discuss this.
    What makes a guitar better?
    If the neck size and shape fit you, the fretwork is OK, the tuners function, and you can do a 'to-spec' setup, what makes a guitar more playable than that?

If the body wood is not a piece of tone-sucking cardboard (not to offend the Dano lovers..but) and the bridge holds the end of the strings securely and can be adjusted to intonate properly, what's left?

If the pup's do the job as you like you're done, or you can replace them and any weak electro parts easily.

What else do you need? What else do you want? Mo' mojo? Fancy top?

The next XX thousand dollars doesn't really buy much more functionality or 'tone' does it?

Mom used to say 'let your wants be few and little will do!' So true.

We have dozens, maybe more(!!!they are unbelievably popular:crazy) players here using Tele's and they LUV them. A Squier 51 is another slice of the same pie. No, it's not artwork.

10. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

You get what you pay for......sometimes.

Sometimes, you get less.

Sometimes, you get more.

That's how simple it is.

:)

11. Quantumphysics

Quantumphysics Member

I have an old Squire (made in Korea) that I purchased back in 1979 or 1980 - plywood body and I've rewired it many times - feels more solid than my 2004 American strats. I had to widen the pickguard pickup holes to make "regular" size pups fit.

12. jda

jda Member

None of my 51s are my favorite guitar. But they are, without a doubt, the best value in a guitar that I have ever experienced. They are very close to fully giggable, professional instruments, and can be made so cheaply.

Very functional.

13. 900

900 Member

Looks cool. Nice color. How does it play?

14. 900

900 Member

+ 1

I think if it sounds good to your ears and feels good in your hands, it is good.

I bet that if you would do a blindfold test with different good examples of some particular models, no matter what price, make and where they've been made/built, the final verdict/ranking could turn out different then expected.

15. rivaeast

rivaeast Member

ebay is your best bet they are getting hard to find. I bought 3 and sold 2 of them recently Most of us that are buying them are in a modding frenzy with them.

16. fish78

fish78 Member

Roger that, on ebay...found some in Japan...reckon its the same that was available here? Price is higher and then there is the shipping...

17. Yak

Yak Member

I picked up one when GC was blowing them out for $69. Can't beat that!

18. pinner

pinner Silver Supporting Member

Still lovin my esprit
    [​IMG]

19. richey88

richey88 Member

I bought a black '51...59.00 GC Memorial Day sale....

Rocked onstage 25 times since, then swiped the neck and put it on my Frankencaster....(total of about 200 into it including the '51)

The one-piece maple w/ medium frets was the best neck I ALMOST EVER felt off the rack for a Fenderesque axe. No sharp fret edges even....neck worth waaay more than the entire axe!

Totally Rocks on my Saga Tele w/ Kent Armstrong Pickups....(klusons/gfs 3 barrel bridge, toploader).

Sqier is hit and miss (ewwww, Affinity), but if you cant afford a R7 or whatever, and find a good one.....:RoCkIn

Hear it at www.myspace.com/richeylatherandtheconditioners

and www.myspace.com/projectxtheband

20. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

$59!!
    I don't know what that says about economics:NUTS
    but as the North American economy tanks these deals can't hang on.
    Never had that kind of pricing in Canada, either.