Fender SRV #1 Tribute on the 'bay

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kev, May 5, 2005.

1. kev

kev Member

2. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Is a fender custom shop replica really worth over 12k or do these people think it is the real thing?

3. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I know one SRV collector in particular that would buy it for that price in a heartbeat...I don't see the appeal, but whatever floats your boat. If I spend $12,000 on gear, I can assure you the names Suhr, Anderson, Thorn, Lentz, PRS, Melancon, Heatley, Koll, Germino, Dr. Z, Carr, etc are going to pop up more than SRV...

4. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I thought the same thing...

5. webe123

webe123 Member

I would not mind having the REAL #1, but that goes for a whole lot more than $12,000 too! The question of what the real #1 SHOULD go for is debateable. The real one would also have Stevies mods done to it, and the wear on his is REAL...not FAKE, so it would be neat to have.

But to me, this guitar is just something that someone took a bunch of tools and scratched up! Sorry but I would feel kinda stupid bidding on something like that. If I wanted a scratched up guitar, I could buy a dremel tool and fender strat and do the same thing.

6. webe123

webe123 Member

Actually, it is now up to $12,900 and the reserve is not even met yet!! Who would pay that much for one? NOT ME...I can tell you that.

7. telest

telest Member

I think these concepts are developed for the well to do collector types as opposed to regular players. If I were well to do, I still wouldn't even consider it. PRS Private Stocks don't run that high do they?

Steve

8. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

That looks to be a real one.

Fender made a limited run (100 pieces i think) of almost exact copies of SRV's number #1 last year. They had the real #1 on loan from the Vaughan family, and copied it down to the last detail. I think they went for 10k or more new, and were sold out very quickly. Could explain the high price the one on ebay is fetching.

9. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

That is some really fake looking relic work.

I've seen MUCH better from the Fender custom shop. I wonder why this one looks so un-convincing?

10. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

ALL relics are fake!! :rolleyes: but you knew that din`t ya??

CT.:cool:

11. jaimo

jaimo Member

Tommy Shannon of Double Trouble recently sold HIS SRV Strat that was presented to him by Fender. Sold on ebay for $3500. And that's THE Tommy Shannon, Stevie's bro'.
    $12,000+ for this SRV? The seller's making a killing and the buyer's getting hosed.
    But that's their biz.....

12. straticus

straticus Member

Looks like they did a nice job. Just going by the pictures it's a pretty cool looking replica with lots of vibe. But $13,000.00!!!! :eek: It's a replica for Christ sake!!! And like someone said earlier, I'd feel silly playing that thing in public.

I mean, I love Stevie ................ but jeeeeeeeze. That's just plain nutty.:confused:

13. brent

brent Member

Fender did 100 of these last year for $10,000, #1/100 went for $40,000 plus new in an auction

14. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

In the main pic, what's the thing around the neck that says "Stop"? Is that like a "sanitized for your protection" thingy you find on hotel toilets?

Is it supposed to keep you from playing it and running the value down?

Interesting.

A

15. teakwoodbetz

teakwoodbetz Guest

I thought that the custom shop SRV guitars do have SRV's exact mods on it?? Obviously it's not the real thing, but you're paying for a replica of the real thing... That's someone else's deal, however, not mine.

The last GW claims that the real #1 is worth $600,000+...

16. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I built this one for myself. It was fun to build and looks cool. You should see the look on some people when they see it. Most people don't have a clue. I don't pretend it is a the real thing but it is fun to have but I have $700 in it not $13K. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

17. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

But this one is ...

It's the most amazing instrument ever built by Fender.

If this is true -- and why would the seller lie? -- then $13K is a bargain!

:D

- DB

18. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

+1 and I'm a huge SRV fan. I have a first run 92 SRV but the first thing I did was change that SRV Pick Guard. I think they went for less than $10,000 brand new. All it takes is 1 sucka to buy it for that price and I guess it will be worth it..........:rolleyes:

19. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Yeah.........and why would he sell it?

I guess no one aspires to own the most amazing guitar ever built anymore............:rolleyes:

20. webe123

webe123 Member

They may have the mods...but that is about as close to the real #1 as it comes. The "wear" is fake as is the "scratches". Other than that, it is a good fake of the #1 Stevie played. But definately NOT worth the money people are paying for it in my opinion.

I just can't see me paying for a brand new guitar that is scratched up on purpose. I spend enough time trying to keep mine from getting scratched!