Fender SRV #1 Tribute on the 'bay

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kev, May 5, 2005.

1. Calloway

Calloway Member

Has anyone seen those relic custom shop Rory Gallagher strats floating around, i've never seen one other than in the fender catalogue. How much are those going for out of curiosity?

2. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

i'd like to own a replica of #1 as a display piece or maybe to play at home, but i'd never play one out. i love stevie and i know i'll never touch him as a guitarist, so i cant justify playing a replica of his #1. i have no problem with those that can really play having them, but for me, i'd feel like i was disrespscting him for playing it.

3. daede

daede Member

I guess they're afraid of it being scratched.

4. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

:D :D LOL

Actually, after watching "Live at the El Mocambo" and seeing the way Stevie treated that thing, I'd say it's still in pretty good shape!

A

5. tiptone

tiptone Member

And he worked it over like that for 6 more years after El Mocambo. :D

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

What about the other 99... <g>

There's a "Duane Allman" Replica LP on E-bay that's going for around the same price...

I think Fender and Gibson realize that there's a collector's market out there. Totally different from the player's market. No one plays these things, they just trade 'em back and forth, with each buyer paying a little more, until the price is ridiculous.

Loudboy

7. RobertMiller

RobertMiller Member

Right there with ya. The "SRV" pick guard on my SRV strat will stay in the case. Can you imagine someone gigging with those intials in full view? I mean, take the crown off and quit pretending, brother.

8. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

beNster and Brent got it right - this is one of the 100 "nearly exact" replicas of the real #1 that Fender made with the assistance and approval of the Vaughan family. I believe one of the guitar mags did an in-depth article on the creation of this guitar (at least I remember reading such an article), and Fender was even allowed to take the real #1 apart (there are pictures documenting this) in order to take measurements and record detailed characteristics. This guitar was also discussed in detail over on the FDP Custom Shop section and, IIRC, a Fender rep stated that all of the visible details are very accurate, even the aging that "doesn't look right".

So, it definitely isn't your average run-of-the-mill home relicing job (or even your average CS relic). Is it worth $13,000? Not to me, but it probably is to someone out there.

9. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Gold Supporting Member

$13,100.00 and reserve not met...wow! I love SRV but that kind of moolah is other worldly to me. Even if I had it I don't think I could spend it on this axe. Too many other "real" guitars to be had, relic/reproductions so far haven't been interesting to me.

10. webe123

webe123 Member

If I had $13,000.00 to spend on a guitar, it definately would NOT be that! I would probably find a vintage strat and go from there. Now it may not be a 50s fender vintage strat, but I might be able to get a good deal on a later 60s or so vintage strat. To me, that is money far better spent on a real vintage instrument than on an instrument that "looks" like one that Stevie Ray Vaughn used. Just my two cents.