Fender Strat - American Standard or Classic Player 50s?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by yell03, Jan 31, 2012.

1. yell03

yell03 Member

I want to buy a Strat.

I was going to go inexpensive and buy a Squier CV50 or CV60, played a couple and they were decent, but then I tried one American Standard that was much better than all the others.

I also tried an American Special, but it was not as good, strange because my American Special Tele is amazing?

I looked at the specs and the MIM Fender Classic Player 50s looks GREAT!

How would it compare to an American Standard?

I know my MIM Fender Baja Tele smokes any other Tele I ahve ever played, even better than my beloved American Special.

The Classic Player 50s is about $200-$300 less than the American Standard.

2. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

I have a Classic Players 60's and it is awesome, custom shop parts all over, love the neck shape and feel. Fret job needs a little work but other then that it has been the best $400 I have spent on a guitar in a LONG time...

3. yell03

yell03 Member

$400 great deal!!!!

4. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

I suggest you play a few Classic Player 50s Strats.
    To me mine is everything I was looking for as far as vintage tone.
    I did however prefer the typical 5 position switch so I added a pull tone pot for the neck pickup and put the #4 position back to neck and middle.
    The 50s #4 position stock is neck and bridge.
    There IS a ghost position in between 3 and 4 that works well for the vintage #4 setting, but I like things more defined on the fly.

5. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

I like the Classic Player series too, but the new American Standards are just dandy, and I'd pick one of those.

6. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

A few years ago, I had an AVRI '62RI Telecaster Custom. I picked up an MIM '60s Telecaster to use as a backup. The MIM didn't feel or look quite as nice as the AVRI, but it played better and with the same pickups, the sounds were indistinguishable to me. I ended up selling the AVRI and playing the MIM until I left town.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  7. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Tried a new AS recently...pretty fine instrument. Massively overpriced over here (£1000) but nice.

As ever, though, with production line instruments in the more affordable ranges, it boils down to the individual instrument.

8. cram

cram Member

I am quite happy with my amer. standard. I've played it for 10 years and it's got a great sound and feel.

9. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I love my American Standard. I got the ash-bodied one (sienna sunburst) with a maple neck. I've even held off replacing pickups, like I had planned on. At home, the staggered poles were bugging me on the B and high E string, but at volume with the band, it sounds great.

10. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

CP60's is one of the most underrated Strats that Fender makes.

11. yell03

yell03 Member

I've owned 4 of them, never bonded with any long term, but one I played the other day was much better than the others.

If it has tone like my Baja Tele I will love it.

All about tone and playability for me

I agree, the black Am Std I played the other day sucked, but the Triple Sunburst was nice

I've heard others complain about that

I want the CP50s, is the CP50s underrated also?:p

12. djg714

djg714 Member

Well, I got rid of my CP60 to buy one of my two Am Std's.

13. yell03

yell03 Member

The Am Stds are really nice, especially if you get a good one, but I never bond with them long term.

The specs of the CP50 really are great, on paper at least.

14. SNick

SNick Member

The new American Standards have a lot better tone and feel about them than a Standard or Classic MIM has. If you can afford it get an American Standard. If you want a good MIM find a FSR - Fender Special Run. They usually have better parts than a Standard MIM model. I'm not a big fan of the Classic series so I will not comment on those.

15. yell03

yell03 Member

The Classic Series and Classic Player are totally different animals.

I have a Classic Player Baja Tele that blows away any Tele or Strat I have played at any price.
    I have previously owned a Fender Custom Shop Strat and quite a few American Standard Teles and Strats.

If it were not for that one prime example of an American Standard Strat in Triple Sunburst I played the other day I wouldn't even consider one again. The Black one I played was a loser.

16. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Agree on the Baja-stunning guitar. I would definitely go for a CP50s Strat over the US Standard.

17. ManliusGuitar

ManliusGuitar Member

Maybe try the CP50 since you have had bad results with keeping Am. Stds. in the past? I assume you enjoyed your previous Am. Stds. in the past but ended up not bonding long term, which is probably going to happen with this new example, no? I think you can score a nice CP50 for a good deal and get to see first hand if you like it and if you bond with it.

The CP50 is a nice instrument and the neck is especially comfortable to me....

18. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

I think both the 50's and 60's are underrated guitars, I liked all of the ones that I have played.

19. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Do the 50s and/or 60s have a 7.25 radius?

20. waygorked

waygorked Member

I had an 06 CP60 for about a year. It was a huge step up from any other Mexistrat, and a fantastic value. But there were definitely some quality issues, such as a bunch of half inch long splinters in the tremolo spring compartment that had been finished over, rather than removed before the finishing process. It sounded pretty good, and had great pickups, but the guitar was a bit lifeless and dead compared to my more expensive toys. I threw on a Callaham bridge upgrade kit, and some threaded stainless steel inserts for the neck screws. This helped a great deal, with a better acoustic ring and much better sustain.

I picked up an 08 American Standard a while later, and found that it had a far better fundamental tone than the upgraded CP60 despite being bone stock. Before I sold the CP60 I spent a few days swapping parts back and forth between the guitars to see if I could figure out what caused the difference in tone. It proved to be the CP60 neck that was sucking out all the tone. With the USA neck on the CP60 the guitar sounded brilliant.

I admit that I preferred the shape of the CP60 neck to the USA one, which proved to be a bit thin for my tastes. My wife gave me a Warmoth Fatback strat neck for Xmas this year, which sounds as good or better than my USA neck, and plays much better due to the 10-16" radius.

The point? If I were still in the strat market, I think I would buy a used CP something, sell the neck, put on a Warmoth, throw on a decent steel block to get rid of the lame block on the CP trem, and have an absolutely fantastic strat for crazy cheap.