Fender Strat Elite locking mechanism behind the nut

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Terje79, May 5, 2008.

1. Terje79

Terje79 Member

I recently purchased a used strat elite and it has 3 screw holes in the peghead right behind the nut. I know this is from some sort of string locking mechanism but I cannot find any info on what type was used there. If im not mistaken the kahler string locks use 4 screws to mount. Any Ideas on which one they used?

2. John C

John C Supporting Member

Fender had their own string lock for the Elite and Standard; I know there were a couple of Fender ads from 1983/84 that showed it. It also seems like it wasn't that useful and most owners removed them somewhere along the way.

It was different from the Kahler; this is a really crappy photo I snagged from another site:

[​IMG]

You can just see the Fender locking nut.

Found another photo; still no good close-up:

[​IMG]

3. Roodyrocker

Roodyrocker Member

I bought a Strat Elite new back in the early 80's and still have that guitar to this day. In the mid 80's I had a Kahler trem installed but before that my guitar had no locking nut at all.

4. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I think they used a couple different string locks on those guitars. Some of them are uglier looking than others. You see a lot of them without any string locks at all.

Jeff

5. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

In an effort to compete with locking trem mania some of the Fender Elite strats, later production I imagine, had a klunky behind the nut locking setup with fine tuners that stood up straight up off the headstock. They also sold this as an aftermarket item in the mid-eighties. Not having it on Elite strat is no great loss since they were pretty much an afterthought addition anyway.

6. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

Some Elites had them and some didn't. I have owned several of these. they aren't bad functionally, but who really wants all that machinery on a strat headstock?

7. Terje79

Terje79 Member

Yeah I agree, I was never really a fan of the behind the nut locking mechanisms and most likely will never put one back there. Just wondering if I ever decide to sell it If I would be better off having the original locking unit there instead of the screw holes...

8. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

If the guitar is in excellent shape then yeah having all the original parts is better. But if it's a players guitar it won't matter as much.

Jeff

9. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

It won't hurt to watch eBay and pick up a locking nut cheap. Just stick it in the case for any future owners.