1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Fender Strat Plus - could owners help with some questions please?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 21tones, May 16, 2011.

1. 21tones

21tones Member

I'v ejust bought a 1993 Strat Plus after reading a thread on the general guitars forum and it reminding me what good guitars they are! I bought it sight unseen and need to set it up to my preference.
    I wonder if owners can help me with the following questions.

1. The bridge saddle screws seem to be rusted in, and have lost their heads so I can't remove them. Any ideas on how to get them out, or will I need to buy replacement American Standard bridge saddles? I want to lower the action significantly but am stuck until I can move the saddle screws.
    2. The top E string doesn't sound as loud as other strings even with pickups adjusted to be higher on that side. Is there anything I can do about this or is it just a reflection of the lace sensors?
    3. Should the trem allow 3 semitones of upbend on the G string? At present it only allows 2 semitones.

Thanks in anticipation of your help

2. nateclark

nateclark Member

You can soak metal saddles in a bath of naptha with a few drops of sewing machine oil. If they're not really bad, that's usually enough to free them up.

Here's how I set up a strat.

3. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

4. 21tones

21tones Member

Thanks for your responses - very helpful.
    I should have said I am in the UK so would probably find it cheaper to buy parts here.