Fender Stratocaster Elite weight question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Bruce Knowlton, May 27, 2008.

1. Bruce Knowlton

Bruce Knowlton Member

I have an '83 Stratocaster Elite - candyapple/gold "stratoburst", rosewood board, chrome hardware. Unlike other Elites i've played, this thing weighs over 12lbs! That's hefty even for a Les Paul. It's insane for a Strat. Does anyone know what this guitar is made of, or can anyone give me advice on how to find out? It is not a Walnut Elite Stratocaster from the same time period. Yet I'm wondering if Fender didn't slip me a walnut body.

2. usc96

usc96 Member

OMG!!! 12lbs? My LP weights 9 flat, and I think that's too heavy. Then again, I have a bad shoulder.

3. buchla300

buchla300 Member

I had a walnut tele elite and it was heavy but even then, not that heavy!

4. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

My guess would be ash.

5. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Northern hard ash.

How does it sound??

6. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Ash.

I had two of those Elites - great sounding guitars BTW - and they were both heavy. One was 9.5 lbs, the other was almost 11.

--chiba

7. Bruce Knowlton

Bruce Knowlton Member

How does it sound? Definately at the bright end of the Strat spectrum.

I bought it NOS in '85 after CBS had sold Fender and discontinued the Elite strats and teles. A the time I didn't know a guitar shouldn't be so heavy. I tried dozens of instruments looking for my own personal dream strat sound, having gone through several late-70's strats and never being really satisfied. I loved this guitar's shimmering, complex high end, silvery mids, and piano-like low end. I also dug the lovely ping on the attack followed by a beautiful bloom, and the effortless sustain.

Okay, can you tell I still love this thing? I realize today that a great-sounding strat doesn't have to weigh 12 lbs, and the features on this thing are a little odd, but I still find its one of my favorite strats after all these years.

I had no idea ash could be so dense. I've always thought of it as being toward the light side, but I guess it comes in a lot of varieties.

8. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I was under the impression that the Elites were laminate bodies. Some sort of wood sandwiched between alder or ash. That is why I they are normally quite heavy.