Fender stratocaster: late 70s or Early American Standard Stratocaster (1986 - 1988)?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by haslar, Sep 17, 2008.

1. haslar

haslar Member

I'm looking for an old Fender strat, maple neck, and ash body if at all possible.
    My budget would allow me to purchase something along the lines of a late 70s clean guitar, or an eaerly Am Std strat (from '86 to '88).
    Which one would you recommend?
    - in terms of tone & playability
    - in terms of resale possibilities?

Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:huh

2. 205

205 Senior Member

I'm no expert but I'd say the late 70's for resale value. As far as playability and tone, you'd have to play them, either one could be good or bad.

3. 73watermutt

73watermutt Member

I have had both and I currently have a 1989 USA Strat and I would choose it over the late 70's strats any day of the week.

4. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I agree. While the late 70's stuff will always be worth more, the early American Standards play circles around them. I bought my '87 brand new back in the day and still have it. Of the 5 late 70's Strats I've owned, none of them were keepers. They all had thick heavy finishes, cheap die cast hardware, and generally dead sounding wood.

Stormin!

5. haslar

haslar Member

Thanks for the replies.

Do you reckon late 70s strats will "always be worth more"?
    I do wonder, as more recent strats sell for a lot more than them - Cunetto relics, John English masterbuilts, etc. And the price of the latter seems to go up with no end in sight.

I wonder if '86-'88 Am Std are "sleepers", as they seem to have been built in small(ish) quantities, and with a lot of care in the making.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

There's no way to predict the market. Someone will play something in a hit song and prices will go up overnight. Or not. So you've got to buy guitars that you really want to own in addition to appreciating their resale value. You've also got to go with guitars you can afford (and find). So if a great deal on a late 70s strat comes along, buy it and sell if you don't like the guitar at a slight profit. The same with the early American Standards (or even better, the vanishingly small numbers of 57 and 62 Reissues built in the Fullerton plant in the early 80s). For a guitar you're going to keep and play MOST American Standards are way better guitars than MOST 70s Fenders...