fender style necks w/ heel-adjust truss rod, WTF

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by dirk_benedict, Feb 5, 2012.

1. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Does anyone else find the "turn the nut a quarter turn, and wait some unspecified period of time" mantra of adjusting Fender style heel-adjust truss rods very frustrating?

I've noticed that my own attempts to adjust these types of necks is almost always a failure. I'm very comfortable at taking off necks so it's not that part of the process that bothers me, it's the fact that relief NEVER seems to budge all that much.

As a contrast, I've had a Gibson Les Paul Studio since 1994 that has needed a truss rod adjustment maybe 2-3 times in its lifetime. The latest was last week. I turn the nut a 1/4 turn, and I immediately see the change.

But I've gone through this with basses, strats, teles, and jazzmasters ranging from $400 imports to AVRIs to custom partscasters. Always the same thing- I need to take the neck off a bunch of times...see marginal improvement eventually just give up. for the times it's really bugging me, I take it to a tech and it comes back fine. What I am talking about a relief adjustment from say .012 to .008 or so. Not terribly wide, and certainly within the realm of "common spec".

What I am I doing wrong here?

BTW - I **am** using feeler guages along the way, and I generally use the "capo the 1st fret/use the low E as a straightedge" method. I live in Boston, where the humidity changes from season to season is significant.

2. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

IMO, the loose flat grain necks are impossible. I like Q-sawn denser grains, especially in thinner breeds. Otherwise, heavy V's and club necks are the ticket. I have seen too many thin carves that will not hold 9's so I went with V's, they sound better and more stable in Ohio weather. You will get used to the feel in a few days and get natural to your hand.

It is pretty hard to over-adjust a maple neck...provided you don't break something. IMO

3. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

Is this a new type of truss rod? I have never heard of a WTF rod?
    fender style necks w/ heel-adjust truss rod, WTF :jo

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I adjust Reinstall the neck tune and Grab the headstock and Flex both ways. This tend to work perfectly for me.

5. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

My experience has been mostly the opposite. Ive found that old Fenders and reissues with the coarser threaded rods tend to be pretty 'jumpy' and I have to keep myself from turning them as much as I would with most modern guitars.

6. dirk_benedict

Ah, see this is what I need. Tricks and tips. Can you talk a bit more about how much a turn you make (1/4, 1/2?) and what you mean about "grab the headstock and flex both ways"? This is with the guitar in playing position and tuned to pitch?

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

also, the whole "adjust a tiny bit, then wait, then adjust a tiny bit more" thing is a waste of time. turn the rod to where it needs to be, get on with your day.

it is a pain with vintage-type fender necks, so i modded my AV62 tele to use the suhr system; a larger notch at the body, a 1/8" hex-hole truss rod nut (fender sells them for american standard guitars), and a 1/8" allen key with the short end sawed off just past the curve; i can tweak the rod without even de-tuning the strings.

otherwise, if you have the neck in your hand and you adjust the rod to where the neck is dead-straight or even the tiniest bit backbowed, that usually works out to a decently slight relief when strung back up.

8. dirk_benedict

Walter- that's helpful thanks. what is the easiest way to measure the straightness with the neck off?

9. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Straightness with the neck off doesn't help you any. You need the straightness with the tension of the strings.

I think there's a way to make the adjustments with an angled screwdriver where you don't have to remove the neck. I'm not positive though, because i don't have any Heel end truss rods.

10. walterw

i'm just eyeballing it.

also, there's no good way to shove a screwdriver in there without wrecking the pickguard around the hole.

11. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

Something else worth mentioning is the possibility of the nut actually running out of thread before affecting any real change in trussrod tension - though not common, it does happen, as it did again to me recently on a client's MIJ '62 reissue Tele. The only solution is to remove the nut, drop a small washer in there and start over - this will buy you some more usable thread, allowing you to get the neck where you want it. Also, I STRONGLY recommend removing the nut on the older guitars and applying a smidge of any decent lubricant first - if the nut does not turn smoothly, you can have more difficulty turning it, if not actually having it break on you.

12. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

Eyeball relief. Take neck off and adjust. Reinstall neck and tune to pitch.

Rinse an repeat as needed.

13. walterw

big +1 on that!

removing and lubing a stiff-turning truss rod nut can mean the difference between being able to straighten the neck like you want and not.

14. dirk_benedict

Thanks to all for chiming in on this thread.

Just a whiny update. I checked my strat back after a day of "letting it settle" and nothing. So, I decided to take the neck off, back the nut out, throw some lube in there and re-tighten to where it was. This was just a few minutes ago.

So far, its worse...way too much relief. And I seem to be fully out of "travel" on the nut (it's getting to the point where it's a hair countersunk of the butt end of the heel if that makes sense.

Sounds a trip to the tech. FAAAAAAAAAAAAACK.

15. Chris Scott

Check post #11...

16. dirk_benedict

I guess I don't quite understand what "start over" means. I get the concept of a washer to lengthen the threads, but when I take the nut all the way out, doesn't the release all the tension in the rod, and thus the neck is going to want to bow?

With a neck this stiff, should I expect it to noticeably straighten if I have the neck off, and the nut reinstalled but with washers now?

17. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

Listen to Chris and Walter.

18. Chris Scott

Though I understand your trepidation, there's no reason for it.

Just yank the sucker off there, and pull that nut out.

Find a suitable washer that both fits in the hole, and has a hole in it big enough to allow the rod to pass thru - if it does NOT drop in all the way to the bottom, find one that does, or file/sand it 'til it does - you don't want to force it into the hole, only to discover that the hole's to small for the rod - trust me.

Put a dab of (insert your fave lubricant here) on the end of the rod and/or in the threaded part of the nut, and re-install.

Carry on - you are NOT hurting anything or making it more difficult to adjust the trussrod in your instrument by removing the nut.

Oh, and don't forget to enjoy it - it's a learning experience.

19. dirk_benedict

So once the washer is on there...and the nut is turning freely, should I expect to the see the neck straighten once I get some tension back in the nut?

It's the guesswork that's killing me. Like I can't tell if anything is happening, besides me actually turning the nut. Cant see if any change is effected until I string everything back up.

20. Chris Scott

You should see some change in the neck's shape as you adjust the nut w/ the neck off the body - snug up the nut, then sight down an edge and see where you're at. Repeat until you can at least get it dead-straight, if not a slight backbow. Now, put it back together and check your relief, and do your fine tuning from this point.

All this assumes that you can read the neck reasonably well - can you?