Fender Super Champ X2 better than Blues Jr? YES!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GazzaBloom, Feb 19, 2012.

1. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom Member

I've just got hold of a Fender Super Champ X2 combo and I'm blown away at the tone on Channel 1. This is everything I wanted the Blues Jr to be but it wasn't.

The Super Champ definitely has that blackface vibe and sparkling tone on channel 1. I found the Bluer Jr to have a nasal sound that was hard to dial out, not nice in a tweed kind of way, and lacks clean headroom.

Adding to the Champs amazing channel 1 tone are some great sounding and programmable effects, a range of modelling amps on channel 2 (I haven't tried them properly yet) and a direct recording out, add all this and at a lower price and it beats the Blues Jr hands down.

I really wasn't expecting this amp to sound so good and it looks set to become my principle @home amp.

Gazza

2. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

If you like Channel 1, tell me what you think of Channel 2, Voice 1, Gain 8. My Blonde SCXD, really got me hooked on 10" combo's. I've found some other amps that are more touch sensitive than the SCXD. But, they aren't as versitile.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  3. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom Member

OK so you've made me venture onto channel 2...My immediate thought was that on Voice 1 it's a lot quieter than channel 1 but at Gain 8 and with the vol cranked that's a terrific overdriven sound and plenty loud enough. I love it!

I added a little bit of my Okko Diablo+ and that's an amazing overdrive tone right there.

This amp is amazing, I sounds so much bigger than a 10" speaker. fender have really hit the mark here, the tube and modelling blend seamlessly and it just feels like a tube amp.

I love the blonde that your amp come in.

4. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I'm running my SCXD with a very efficient Eminence Legend 105 speaker. Channel 2, Voice 1, can get a very loud, clean, tweed sound. I sold my big, 4X6L6, outdoor rig, and replaced it with two, 10" combo's. I bi-amp the Super Champ with a Kustom Defender V15 (2XEL84M's), or VHT Special 6 (1X5881), pushing about 10 watts. They get about as loud as my old 100 watt amp. It's much easier to haul the two 10" combo's, than my old big amp. The sound is huge, without being punishing.

5. rouss

rouss Member

I sold my blue jr for the same reason ,it was to nasaly , Im thinking of buying one of these

6. dughaze

dughaze Member

It sounds decent yes but they lost my business when I saw the word China on the back. I know...who cares.

7. fdblue

fdblue Member

the x2 series are not made in china

8. Brooks

Brooks Member

try ch 8 w/ gain on 10; rawk! i have a rajun cajun 10" in mine, whata great lil amp.

9. Electric I

Electric I Member

I 2nd this.

10. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Member

I dig voice 2 (5F6 Bassman) with the gain on 7-8 and the volume on 10. Live, I go with voice 8 (JCM 800) with the same settings...noticeably louder and clearer.

11. LarryN

LarryN Member

SCXD is a coup. It'll get pretty loud with a 12" ext. cab. or a big magnet 10".

12. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

I have a SCXD and it's the mutt's nuts.

13. tquig

tquig Member

try voice 6--od blackface--great at home practice amp-or quiet gigs or jams--any jam louder unless miked will get lost, I take my blues jr or DRRRI out to play,but use the champ almost exclusivly at home or quiet band practice

14. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

Which is good, because whenever I make gear purchases I stuff socks into my ears and read words.

I'm going to have to check out one of these puppies. Loud enough for rehearsals with a sort of heavy hitting drummer? I was alright with a 15w Egnater Tweaker, but that had a 12" speaker. If it could hang volume wise, it would be a no brainer.

15. LarryN

LarryN Member

With a larger magnet speaker, no problem keeping up with a drummer. I put a 60 or 70 watt Celestion in mine, but you don't need to go that high. I liked the bigger bottom of those. Blindfold and socks, you're good to go.

16. soulohio

soulohio Member

this is me "secret weapon"... actually, if you have just one great combo...you can actually use a budget SS amp to add a really clean, immediate dimension to your sound and get some great time based effects in stereo...

if I could only find that great old Ormat (Orange-Matamp) sound in a small combo... I would have my dream rig that I could move around..

17. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Member

So am I. HAving the head, bought it on purpose, just because I already had the RC in a cab... Great sound!

18. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Member

Concerning Orange... get the Micro Terror and house it like a combo, in a cab. Might be interesting...

19. Johnny2013

Johnny2013 Member

Channel 1 is really good sounding but I believe it is also digital preamp

20. rgee27

rgee27 Supporting Member

Concerned that the Super Champ X2 combo isn't loud enough even though it is rated at 15 watts like the BJR. Played one at GC and had to dime the volume to get it loud enough and even then it didn't seem like it had enough volume? What experiences ? Playing with other musicians and not bedroom players...?