Fender Super Champ X2 Combo: Thoughts?

Campfired

Was looking for a basic 6L6 or 6V6 based tube combo amp that is versatile and can put out enough wattage to fill a medium-size coffee house.

Settled on the Fender Super Champ x2 15W 1x10 Combo (alternate was the head/cab for $100 more) or a Egnater Tweaker 15W 1x12 Combo.

Was given an opportunity to play through a Super Champ combo last night. Was immediately impressed by the projection and power this modest amp was capable of.

Am strongly considering purchasing a new Super Champ X2 in the next few days. Your thoughts on this amp that can be found for just shy of $400?

vladorg

Gold Supporting Member
I had the head and gigged it quite a few times with 2X12" cab in big venues with a Top-40 band. It'll definitely do the job for you, the only thing I've heard about the combo is that people usually swap the speaker out.

myaudiodna

The X2 was pretty popular around here a few years back. I haven't owned one, but I've played a few and they've all sounded like a good-for-the-money amp to me. Nothing spectacular, but it will get you in the ballpark of fender cleans pretty inexpensively.

Smacky the Frog

Gold Supporting Member
I had the head and gigged it quite a few times with 2X12" cab in big venues with a Top-40 band. It'll definitely do the job for you, the only thing I've heard about the combo is that people usually swap the speaker out.
I liked the X2 with the stock speaker but love it with a Ragun Cajun. I know Sweetwater has a version that's more expensive and has a celestion in it.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
I've been using an original SCXD for a long time now. It has a bigger cabinet and a 12" speaker in it, but it has always done the job for me, including in a band with drums, bass, keys and vocals.

Campfired

This was my original thought: head/cab w/ 1x12 speaker. Yet upon hearing the 1x10 SCX2, the amp sounded phenomenal. What will likely happen is swapping out the stock Chinese tubes and replacing these with JJ and TAD 6V6GC-STRs, as is similar to the tube complement in my Fuchs ODS-30 (6L6GC-STRs). Might down the road consider a speaker swap to a Eminence RC, but might like to try something different (Jensen or Celestion, if sound clips could be previewed)

I've been using an original SCXD for a long time now. It has a bigger cabinet and a 12" speaker in it, but it has always done the job for me, including in a band with drums, bass, keys and vocals.
Bryan, regards small to medium venues (25 to 40 people), have you ever needed to mic your combo, position the amp up on a milk crate or amp stand, or will the SCXD cover the territory for these types of venues?

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Bryan, regards small to medium venues (25 to 40 people), have you ever needed to mic your combo, position the amp up on a milk crate or amp stand, or will the SCXD cover the territory for these types of venues?
Never had to mic it. Mine has tilt back legs on it so even though I have put it up on various chairs, cases etc, I've never had to.

In a venue that size I generally never get it above 4 or 5 on the volume. I only use the clean channel.

Campfired

Never had to mic it. Mine has tilt back legs on it so even though I have put it up on various chairs, cases etc, I've never had to.

In a venue that size I generally never get it above 4 or 5 on the volume. I only use the clean channel.

Bryan,

Nice amp! Is this the 1x12? What tube/speaker complement is within?

What voicing do you prefer for clean channel? Have you tried tweaking the amp with the Fender FUSE software? Lastly, do you place effects in front of the amp, or prefer to use the onboard reverb?

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Bryan,

Nice amp! Is this the 1x12? What tube/speaker complement is within?

What voicing do you prefer for clean channel? Have you tried tweaking the amp with the Fender FUSE software? Lastly, do you place effects in front of the amp, or prefer to use the onboard reverb?
That's the 1X12. It has a WGS ET-65 speaker and the cabinet is a pine cab from JD Newell.
There was no FUSE with the original SCXD. I use the unvoiced channel pretty much all the time so no tweaking other than bass + treble.
I'm not much of an effects guy...I use a Barber Tone Pump, a TC Flashback X4, a TC Hall of Fame reverb and a Boss chorus when I feel like bringing them.

When I'm just going to a jam and don't want to bother with pedals, I use either the reverb on the amp or the 300ms delay. If I want some dirt I use voice 2, the tweed Bassman tone with a bit of gain.

Oh I have JJ 6V6s in it.

Campfired

That's the 1X12. It has a WGS ET-65 speaker and the cabinet is a pine cab from JD Newell.
There was no FUSE with the original SCXD. I use the unvoiced channel pretty much all the time so no tweaking other than bass + treble.
I'm not much of an effects guy...I use a Barber Tone Pump, a TC Flashback X4, a TC Hall of Fame reverb and a Boss chorus when I feel like bringing them.

When I'm just going to a jam and don't want to bother with pedals, I use either the reverb on the amp or the 300ms delay. If I want some dirt I use voice 2, the tweed Bassman tone with a bit of gain.

Oh I have JJ 6V6s in it.
Thanks for your reply.

My SCX2 will be arriving this afternoon and will be picked up Thursday at a local store. Hopefully, new JJ 12AX7's and TAD 6V6 tubes will be put into the amp prior to checking it out...my amp tech says he can run diagnostic on almost anything if something comes up amiss.

Thinking this one may very well be a keeper, if not for perhaps a speaker swap further down the the road...hoping to access a Blues Deluxe 1x12 patch with the FUSE software...my old Mustang III had this and was the "cat's meow".

Smacky the Frog

Gold Supporting Member
Have to say I'm really impressed with mine. I find more than half of Voice 2 unusable (though I will admit that I haven't sat and tweaked each one) but the couple I do use (around 2pm on the dial) work perfectly. With a speaker swap it really is a very good amp that one could play out with.

Enjoy yours Campfired

neteraser

I had one and loved it. It sounded beautiful, almost like classic Fender tube amps.
On mine the gain control wasn't correctly working so I had to return in after playing it for a month. They didn't have a replacement, so I took a MIM strat instead. That was my first real guitar. I regret parting my ways with that combo, if you're interested. Wouldn't mind buying another one later.

BEACHBUM

I got my SCXD before the head/extension cab option came out so I made my own using an after market cab and a Ragin Cajun. Good stuff. A few years later I picked up a new Blues Junior III. Good stuff as well. For versatility I've got to give it to the SCXD. For a bit more headroom and genuine tube tone the BJ wins out. With a mic setup they are both gig worthy amps but being a clean to verge of breakup player for stand alone playing in larger rooms I prefer a few more watts.

Last edited:

Rayzaa

I have been going back and forth on a SCX2 but i dont think it sounds much different than a Mustang II for the cleans and i can also change the speaker in the M2. I dont know, price wise and what your getting its been back and forth. One day i think it is great and the next week, i think its OK and when i played both the M2 and the X2 one day, i thought it was close. Am i nuts?

Last edited:

Rayzaa

Oh I have JJ 6V6s in it.
Where do you get a12" combo X2?

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
I've seen some cabs on eBay that the Xd/X2 guts slip into but that makes for a pretty expensive amp that origanlly isn't.
Mine also has tilt back legs and a line in mod so it has a usable effects loop.

Did it make it more expensive? Yep. Does it make it much more capable? Yep. I paid more for mine used than a new one costs. But it's been well worth it.

Campfired

Have to say I'm really impressed with mine. I find more than half of Voice 2 unusable (though I will admit that I haven't sat and tweaked each one) but the couple I do use (around 2pm on the dial) work perfectly. With a speaker swap it really is a very good amp that one could play out with.

Enjoy yours Campfired
An alternative is working with the Fender FUSE software model presets free for storing to your FUSE software and uploading to one of the 16 Voice selections.

Was able to work with the FUSE software after upgrading firmware and downloading required software prior to using FUSE. My thought was to obtain a pushed '65 Deluxe Reverb with simple compression and a touch of small hall reverb as one of the presets in slot 7. Another preset that resides on my FUSE software (but not saved to amp) is a pushed '57 Deluxe with simple compression and '65 spring reverb.

The tube swap to JJ and TAD tubes was a good choice. Later this evening, I'll be looking into the Eminence Legend series, Weber and Celestions. Darned if you know it that Celestion doesn't put sound clips on their website so you can hear the differences. What's up with that?

I had one and loved it. It sounded beautiful, almost like classic Fender tube amps.
On mine the gain control wasn't correctly working so I had to return in after playing it for a month. They didn't have a replacement, so I took a MIM strat instead. That was my first real guitar. I regret parting my ways with that combo, if you're interested. Wouldn't mind buying another one later.
You'll be the person I'll contact if ever the amp goes up for sale...:)

I have been going back and forth on a SCX2 but i dont think it sounds much different than a Mustang II for the cleans and i can also change the speaker in the M2. I dont know, price wise and what your getting its been back and forth. One day i think it is great and the next week, i think its OK and when i played both the M2 and the X2 one day, i thought it was close. Am i nuts?
No, you're not nuts. Your perception of what you hear or view is a matter of internal physiology (your ears, sinuses, etc.) and your immediate environment that influences your ability to choose and make decisions.

This is a classic example of why you like how an amp sounds in a music store or from a video, and when you bring the amp home to your home environment, the love you had by connecting with the amp at first turns out only an 'infatuation or attraction', not real love. If you truly love something, that love needs room to grow, instead of sitting idly on a shelf somewhere unused. Basically, you find "friendship" with your amp, then as you get to know your amp better, you'll eventually discover that you love your amp. Relationships are similar, but need room to grow before you discover you love someone. :)

The best part about SCX2's is that they're all tube, not hybrids like the Mustang series. Voiced for a variety of amps, some useable, others YMMV depending on your ears again. I've personally owned Mustang II combos when I thought they might work well with a mixing board for recording. The X2's have direct ¼" line outs for plugging into a audio interface, or could be patched into an iPad with the correct ¼" - ⅛" cable. My plan is using my "boutique" amp head and X2 for recording 2 separate guitar signals patched into my audio interface and selected as individual stereo guitar parts for a fuller sound.

Trending Topics