Fender Super Champ XD into a Marshall 4/12 cab?

Release

Will this cause any damage to the amp?

I don't know anything about the different ohms and what can and can't be used so I hope someone can help. I know I can connect an external speaker to the Champ but I'm not going to try with the Marshal cab until I know it's not going to screw anything up. I'm not talking about deafening levels, just bedroom or jamspace volume. I wouldn't be pushing it at all, just seeing how much of a difference it would make. I have a big 'ole half stack sitting next to the Champ that isn't getting a workout any more.

Aren't 4/12 cabinets rated at different ohms than 2/12's? The Marshall I have doesn't say what the ohms ratings are. That label is long gone (it must be close to 20 years old by now).

Any idea if I can do this and not screw anything up in the process?

Griz

If the Marshall cab is 20 years old it ought to be 8ohms. I would expect that you are referring to a JCM800 cab, and I don't think Marshall started with the switchable impedance (for mono/stereo operation) until the JCM900 series. But it's a fairly easy matter to check the cab's impedance either with a meter or by removing the back and having a look at the speakers and wiring. I'd check first.

The SCXD has 8ohm output impedance, as I'm sure you know. I tried mine through an 8ohm Marshall 4x10; sounded killer.

Maruuk

The XD is an 8 ohm out and Marshall cabs are either 8 or 16 ohms, so you're safe. If it's 16, you may experience some power loss, low end loss, and other tone changes. But no danger to your amp or the speakers.

mentoneman

all i know is that the people involved with creating this amp are awesome!
fender really hit a homer with this one in my book!

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
The manual says 8 ohms minimum. If you're sure your cabinet is 8 or 16, you'll be okay. If it's 4, you may have trouble.

illini

Just another +1 to what is being said here. As long as your cab is not 4ohms you will be fine. Many a guitarist swear by running an 8ohm amp into an 16 ohm cab. Won't hurt a thing.

Release

you may experience some power loss, low end loss, and other tone changes.

Nope, no low end loss. At all. I plugged it in and put on the distortion...... I thought the walls were going to cave in. And the volume was only at around 3! It was a HUGE difference in tone but the low end was just silly! LOL! If I would have turned on the Big Muff, everything would have come off the shelves.

I think I'll just stick it out until I can go pick up my 2/12 that is is at a friends house. As it is through the 4/12, I'd need to re-tweak everything for this to be usable.

Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom