• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fender Super Champ XD into a Marshall 4/12 cab?

Release

Will this cause any damage to the amp?

I don't know anything about the different ohms and what can and can't be used so I hope someone can help. I know I can connect an external speaker to the Champ but I'm not going to try with the Marshal cab until I know it's not going to screw anything up. I'm not talking about deafening levels, just bedroom or jamspace volume. I wouldn't be pushing it at all, just seeing how much of a difference it would make. I have a big 'ole half stack sitting next to the Champ that isn't getting a workout any more.

Aren't 4/12 cabinets rated at different ohms than 2/12's? The Marshall I have doesn't say what the ohms ratings are. That label is long gone (it must be close to 20 years old by now).

Any idea if I can do this and not screw anything up in the process?

Griz

If the Marshall cab is 20 years old it ought to be 8ohms. I would expect that you are referring to a JCM800 cab, and I don't think Marshall started with the switchable impedance (for mono/stereo operation) until the JCM900 series. But it's a fairly easy matter to check the cab's impedance either with a meter or by removing the back and having a look at the speakers and wiring. I'd check first.

The SCXD has 8ohm output impedance, as I'm sure you know. I tried mine through an 8ohm Marshall 4x10; sounded killer.

Maruuk

The XD is an 8 ohm out and Marshall cabs are either 8 or 16 ohms, so you're safe. If it's 16, you may experience some power loss, low end loss, and other tone changes. But no danger to your amp or the speakers.

mentoneman

all i know is that the people involved with creating this amp are awesome!
fender really hit a homer with this one in my book!

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
The manual says 8 ohms minimum. If you're sure your cabinet is 8 or 16, you'll be okay. If it's 4, you may have trouble.

illini

Just another +1 to what is being said here. As long as your cab is not 4ohms you will be fine. Many a guitarist swear by running an 8ohm amp into an 16 ohm cab. Won't hurt a thing.

Release

you may experience some power loss, low end loss, and other tone changes.
Nope, no low end loss. At all. I plugged it in and put on the distortion...... I thought the walls were going to cave in. And the volume was only at around 3! It was a HUGE difference in tone but the low end was just silly! LOL! If I would have turned on the Big Muff, everything would have come off the shelves.

I think I'll just stick it out until I can go pick up my 2/12 that is is at a friends house. As it is through the 4/12, I'd need to re-tweak everything for this to be usable.

Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it.

Trending Topics