Fender Super Champ XD - Love it??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 60HzShuffle, May 18, 2008.

1. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

I just got one of these amps this week. I had been on the fence for a while as I had not demo'd one in a store, but decided to go ahead and get it.

I was really suprised how much I like some of the "Voices" on channel 2. I found several that I thought were really cool and dialed in several clean, high gain, and in-between tones. The effects are decent too. Granted, the original amps will sound better (although much louder) but if you are just playing at home, I wonder if you really need anything more than this and maybe something like guitar rig.

I guess I am on an anti-boutique run of AAS :bow and wondering if I really need what I currently have as I am getting so little time to play lately.

2. Electric I

Electric I Member

Have one & while I like the clean/ish voices, the od/dist voices are useless to me.

Which is why I mainly use channel one with pedals in front.

3. yesteryear

yesteryear Member

I plan on picking up another one. Two cover a drummer with ease. With two of these are just over 500$ you are pretty much set for a gig. You can have two sets of effects going, two different voices and plenty of volume to cover the largest of venues. All of the onboard ODs are miles better than any stompbox Ive ever played. So considering the fact that 9 out of 10 players use an OD pedal I can't see this amp being beat. I would say that I find 8 of the 16 voices great and all of the effects useable. Not a fan of chorus but if thats your thing you got it. No arguments on my end. Ive been through all the champs tweed through silverface, a brownie deluxe and several other vintage and modern all tube amps and Im settled on this. Haven't even considered picking up another amp for quite some time now. Thats strange for me.

4. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

How are 2 just over $500? They're $299 apiece.

This will end up being one of Fender's most successful amps of all time.

5. richey88

richey88 Member

Pump a 1x12 or 4x12 with it! That's where the magic is, onboard speaker is a little boxy, but it KILLS through my 4x12 (and for smaller rooms epi vj 1x12 cab).....I can't get over 6 on the clean without the drummer(!) complaining it's too loud! Hella value too!

6. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one diggin' it :stir

7. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Right. I'm getting one. My current rig (head+4x10+JC120) is just too big for gigs, and I'm looking for something small. The XD plus my G&K ML will be a great compact stereo rig.

8. Griz

Griz Member

+1 Absolutely.

I've run mine through 1x12 and 4x10 so far. It sounds much better (not to mention bigger) than through the stock speaker. I think that stock speaker has a lot to do with why the amp is so reasonably priced.

9. mude

mude Supporting Member

How is the line out set up? Where in the circuit is the signal received? Can you simply run a cord from it to the input of a PA? Has anyone done this and how does it sound?

If you use the line out, do you still hear the sound from the speaker of the amp (I assume the answer is yes)?

Thanks.

Evan.

10. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

I hear you guys, but still think the stock speaker is pretty good :banana

11. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

It is good, and has that big bottom you don't expect from that tiny cab. Probably the main reason guys are upgrading to the RC is just volume.

12. opdev

opdev Member

1x12 Celestion Blue

Rivals anything I own for home playing

Mercury
    1966 PR
    1966 VC
    5E3 Clone

Factor in the cost and it's the winner.

13. JumpMarine

JumpMarine Supporting Member

When using the line out(direct to the soundboard and pumped to the pa with the rest of the mix), the speaker is still live. I've used it this way and it works very well.

14. opdev

opdev Member

15. Scott57

Scott57 Member

Three months on and I'm still loving this amp.

16. Griz

Griz Member

The line out is just the preamp (digital models), no 6V6 contribution. Plugging into the line out does not disconnect the speaker (and of course, you don't want to manually disconnect the speaker either, or you'll fry the OT). That said, the clean to lightly distorted sounds record quite well from the line out.

17. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

I have the Vibro Champ and it's been great to me since I got it! I certainly don't plan on gigging with it but, sitting at home or laying down some tracks this thing is awesome!

18. mude

mude Supporting Member

Thanks for the info and glad people have found something pretty inexpensive that they are digging.

Evan.

19. shibby

shibby Member

does anyone find their super champ to be excessively noisy with single coiled guitars? I know hum is normal for singlecoils, but my new XD is really noisy with my p90 guitar. even with channel 1 clean there is this very distracting hum. should I return it for another?

note- i changed out the preamp tube, no change in noise

20. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

Anyone try the Line Out to a PA for a gig? You can always dial some amp back in on monitors.