• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fender Super Champ XD or Vibro Champ XD?

audiodrome

I'm going to be buying one of these amps this week so I need to make up my mind fast. I desperately need a small backup "electric" amp for my acoustic gigs and my old Fender Sidekick ain't kickin' it!

Obviously, I would prefer to go for the cheaper one (the Vibro Champ), but will the 10" speaker vs. the 8" speaker and 15W vs. 5W make that much of a difference for me soundwise at a small acoustic-based club gig? I mostly play clean, so is the extra headroom that noticeable? Would I really be getting that much more for another $100? I have my AC30 and Super Reverb for larger venues so I'm not looking for an "everything" amp, just a small practice/gig amp. Are there any other differences to consider? Thanks!

theraygun

Get the Super Champ, the channel switching just makes it infinitely more flexible. Get the footswitch as well. I just got another one today from Guitar Center. They are selling them for $319 new and they matched a $75 Sam Ash coupon, so I got out the door for $260 with tax.

Griz

I tried both, but bought the SCXD.

Greater flexibility, plus more headroom for cleans, wider frequency range from the speaker. A more powerful and slightly more flexible piece of gear for an extra $50. Seemed like the better deal.

They're both good, though. Have fun deciding.

gixxerrock

I had the Vibro Champ. I bought it as a fun toy and recording tool. It was totally underpowered for playing live and had a nasty 60Hz hum. I have played the SCXD with a band and it was loads of fun and sounded pretty good.

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
I totally love the SCXD! I have the fender VG Strat and I was playing around last night with the accoustic setting on the guitar and was getting some really nice tones. I think the SCXD has been one of my best investments for the price! You can do so much with that amp. I got mine for $279 at GC a few months ago.

karma1

I'll agree with the other posters here - go for the SCXD. I have one and I love it. I believe it's only about $50 more than the Vibro Champ XD. It's not my only amp either, but I've gigged with it a number of times with a full (but not real loud) band and it sounded great. I mostly use it for it's clean sound, which is excellent, and use pedals for distortion.

opdev

Great amp (SCXD). I played my Martin through thr acoustic patch and it sounded really great.

audiodrome

Yeah, I'll probably kick myself if I don't spend the extra $$$, plus I want plenty of headroom since I like to play clean. I'm sure the Vibro is good for a home practice amp but it's probably not good enough for any type of club gig situation, "unplugged" or otherwise.

OnlyVees

I'm a Super Champ XD Whore. It's that good. When I'm playing mine on Voice #2, I just look at my tweed 5E7... sitting in the corner.

If I had a 2x12 8ohm cab, I'd probably sell the 5E7. :stir

audiodrome

I'm off to GC now to see if they can do me some kind of a deal. I've spent over $15,000 there in the last ten years.

audiodrome

Well, I bought a Super Champ XD at GC today. I got the "demo" for $299, but tomorrow I'm going to see if I can trade in a 15" Yamaha floor monitor tomorrow to shave a little bit more off the price. Apparently they don't care HOW much money you've spent over the years, but anyway, this will be a very nice addition to my amp arsenal: 1964 Fender Super Reverb, 1966 Fender Bassman, Vox AC30TBX, and now this! :AOK

CitizenCain

If you don't mind the hijack...how do you SCXD guys like these amps with pedals? Does it take an OD pedal or boost pretty well? I've heard you need to watch overdriving the digital preamp, but until that point does it take it OK?

zosozep7

I havent experimented with that yet. I need to give it a shot but the FX channel has some blistering tones. Thats probably why I have'nt did the pedal thing yet. Im curious myself on how pedals sound.

zosozep7

Well, I bought a Super Champ XD at GC today. I got the "demo" for $299, but tomorrow I'm going to see if I can trade in a 15" Yamaha floor monitor tomorrow to shave a little bit more off the price. Apparently they don't care HOW much money you've spent over the years, but anyway, this will be a very nice addition to my amp arsenal: 1964 Fender Super Reverb, 1966 Fender Bassman, Vox AC30TBX, and now this! :AOK

Congrats! I have been hearing of people dropping the Eminence Rajun Cajun in this amp and getting great results! I want to experiment with that myself!

Kyle Ashley

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats! I have been hearing of people dropping the Eminence Rajun Cajun in this amp and getting great results! I want to experiment with that myself!
I did a shootout with several 10" speakers and posted results somewhere here on TGP. I ended up with a Lil Buddy over the RC and Copperhead, which I found too congested in the lower mids. The stock speaker won out for channel 1, and most who listened to the results felt the same way.

FlySig

If you don't mind the hijack...how do you SCXD guys like these amps with pedals? Does it take an OD pedal or boost pretty well? I've heard you need to watch overdriving the digital preamp, but until that point does it take it OK?
I haven't dug out the Bad Monkey distortion pedal because my new 2 week old SCXD just sounds fantastic with the distortion models. I mean, it sounds great! Silver face, black face, clean. Wow.

For clarification, though, the SCXD has a JFET analog preamp according to the schematic. There is a chip in there that does the emulations, and it is not clear whether it is digital or not, though it is a good guess that it is digital. Channel 1 may not have any digital processing at all.

The volume control is in the analog JFEt part of the circuit, before the effects/emulation chip. So an external pedal shouldn't be an overload problem unless it is quite hot. Your basic instrument level pedal should have no adverse affects on the amp's tone.

FlySig

OK, so you made me curious and so I tried the Bad Monkey distortion pedal with the SCXD. This was at bedroom volume so as not to interrupt the wife's tv show downstairs.

In short, the amp does fine even with a fair amount of boost.

The clean channel gets louder but doesn't distort due to the higher input signal strength. At higher volumes the output tubes might go into distortion at a lower setting on the volume knob, but due to the circuit design I would expect it to be at the same audible loudness regardless of input signal strength.

Channel 2 has more distortion with a stronger signal, it doesn't get that much louder the way that the clean channel does. With the stomp box level turned up and the distortion turned down, some of the amp models on Channel 2 have an overcompressed sound. Some don't. With distortion dialed in on the stomp box it does color the amp emulations, but then I would expect the real amps to do that too.

So, I would not avoid the SCXD if you have stomp boxes you like. I wouldn't worry about them causing odd or bad sound out of the amp. But you may well decide to skip the stomp boxes and use the onboard emulations.

BTW, the reverb and delay effects are quite excellent. This little amp is a superb home practice, recording, and gigging unit. What a steal even at the current guitar center price of $319.

Axe-maniac

I find the SCXD to be very, very picky about which O/D pedals it will play nicely with. It just doesn't seem to deal well with an overdriven signal coming in to the front end. That being said, I had good results with the Menatone KOTB but that is really the only one that has worked well so far and I have it set for mid level gain, not high gain.

kensmith

Go for the SCXD....lots of amp in that little box.
I love the blackface tone, in fact I am picking up a Dlx Reverb Reissue on Wed for a bit fuller amp, but this little guy will stick around.
I have a Emi Ragin Cajun in mine along with BeamBlocker and it sounds great. I don't often get to open it up (crank it up) and it is now starting to break in. Tonight I was running it with my Tele through my M13 (tube overdrive pedal with some good grit on clean channel at about 6 on volume. It was SWEET....I mean really nice. Lovin it!

Trending Topics