Fender Super Champ XD vs. GK 250ML

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NoBrakes, Jan 24, 2012.

1. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

I just picked up a SCXD and I have a 250ML... Not playing out these days so I won't get any practical experience outside of the house with these.. Any reason to keep one over the other...which would you pick if you had to make a choice....?

2. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

Ok... I finally got a chance to play the SCXD a little this evening... got it on a close out from MF..thankfully it can go back. What a piece of junk non-starter... lot's of mediocre tones instead of a couple good ones... clean wasn't too bad and was usuable but I can get that other places.. the ML250 isn't the greatest but I can get something decent out of it for open mic jams or quick low volume playing.

3. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I love my Super Champ XD alot of great usable tones out of it if you take the time to learn what it can do set it for your guitar, plus its tube vs GK solid state. I own lots of amps too (Fenders, Boogie, Marshall). I use my XD at jams and can line out into the house bassman and it smokes. For bigger rooms where I bring my VM Deluxe or my Blues Jr.

4. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

I'll give it a little more time... Right now the GK sounds more like it has the tubes... Right now there is a harsh top to my ears.... could just be a un-broken in speaker.

5. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Not sure what type of tone your looking for but channel 1 or voice 4 on the second channel both sound great IMO. Its the classic blackface tone. I use a drive pedal with mine into voice 4 and it smokes any of the higher gain voicings on the amp. The stock speaker sounds ok at lower volumes but starts to fart out when your crank the amp. A speaker swap can offer a big improvement. Give the amp some time and play around with it. I agree many of the tones suck and have a strange decay but all you need is really one or two good tones out of any amp. I find the built in echo extremely useful in this amp as well. My favorite tone is vintage VH and I swear I can get some decent VH tones out of this thing when set right.

6. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

this is an interesting thread....
    Im a big fan of the GK 250ML, was thinking about the SCXD..........

7. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

I like tube amps better.... I think the GK sounds more "tube" than the SCXD.. SCXD sounds like a modeling amp to me. Granted I've had it but a day but I haven't stored the shipping box. A couple more days and back it goes if I can't find something better out of it.. Clean channel is pretty decent but I'm not real interested in using pedals with it, it kind of defeats the purpose of what I want it for... I was looking for some decent low to mid gain sounds out of it which the GK doesn't do well on it's own. I do find the GK works better than a lot of amps when it comes to controling the gain with the guitar volume knob. I also found the GK to be louder and actually more full sounding that the SCXD, even with the little speakers.

8. johnnylighton

johnnylighton Member

I often wonder whether the people who hate their new SCXD got a unit that was biased too cold at the factory. Mine was at 39 when I got it (with ideal being 40 for the factory tubes) but I've heard them being as low as 20 from the factory.

gadjet, would it be worth it to you to check the tube bias with a multimeter before you decide to send it back?

9. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I actually like mine, better than a PRRI. Mainly because I like tweed sounds, and use Delay, instead of Reverb. I have an Eminence Legend 105 in mine, giving the amp a tighter bottom end, and even more of a middy, tweed sound. I use Channel 2, Voice 1, Gain 8, for a tweed sound, with a lot of clean headroom.

It's a handy size, and see a lot of use. However, I'm starting to use it less since I got a Kustom Defender V15. Running the same Legend 105, and Military grade EL84M's, it seems more articulate, and touch sensitive.

10. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I have ZERO knowledge/experience with the GK... but, after looking it up on Google images -- I'd pick the SCXD. I just bought a SCXD for $149.99 used (can't tell as it looks new) & it's the best $150 amp I've ever heard! It'll crank a bedroom, it's got a few effects that are DECENT (not mind blowing, but sound fine at this price point), and several usable amp voicings. I picked mine up for a low-volume practice amp, beats the hell out of my old Micro Cube... just too bad it doesn't run on batteries and handle my bass too.

11. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

Ran it through my 1x12 Recto cab.... that was about 2000% better...

12. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

Mine always sounds much better if I get it up off the floor a couple feet, sitting on a chair or ext. cab, say.

13. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Run the gk that way and re-evaluate.

14. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

My SCXD w/RC on Ch. 1 or #4...KILLS with any axe I've got from P90 to alnico HBs to Strat SCs. Clean or overdriven to that sweet DR singing BF lead tone with no fakeness or harshness, digi or whatever. Unmodified otherwise. Loud as all get out, too with the super-efficient driver. Great for jams. Set it on a nice, subtle combo of REV and DLY, beautiful. Really, I don't mess much with all the so-called "models". The unit does DR so well on Ch. 1 and #4 why bother?

But maybe they are putting out some badly-biased units. I've played a zillion tube amps, and this is hard to beat for blues and roots rock, especially at this absurd price point. 6V6s rule. If it sounds bad, it's a dysfunctional unit.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  15. johnnylighton

johnnylighton Member

16. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I've got an Eminence Lil' Buddy in mine & it really smooths things out nicely. The hemp cone tames highs & it's kinda like instantly rolling the tone knob on your guitar down just a bit. Much smoother & HUGE difference in volume/bass response.

It also sounded pretty badass thru my Mojotone 2x12 slant (closed back)....

17. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

Ok.....The amp is becoming a starter... I was already to send it back and started playing for a last time to be sure... I kept the volume down a bit and it sounded pretty good.. I'm wonder if the speaker started to break in a bit...a lot of the harshness is going...

18. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I just played mine a bit... as long as you treat it like a small amp -- it's great. But, as soon as you start to crank it up & try to make it compete with large cones/amps... it's gonna disappoint everytime.

Keep it simple, enjoy it for what it is & remember you'll always mic it. ENJOY!

19. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

I would definately check the bias, as per the link posted above, very easy to do with just a multi-meter. Alot of them seem to be biased on the cold side from the factory. My first one(2 yrs. old, now) was biased at 28mv from the factory. I just picked up a spare when they were blowing them out and it was pretty close at 39mv(40mv is spec.)so maybe they're getting better.

20. Toneseeker361

Toneseeker361 Member

I bought a scxd 3 yrs ago, sold it and went on a tone chasing frenzie....
    I ended up buying another scxd 6 months ago and I am sticking with it.
    To me, it caters to whatever mood I am in at the moment.
    I use a weber sig alnico for the house, and an emi ramrod that really puts out the tone and volume.
    the amp runs bright, and the rajin cagun added to this, the ramrod is just a darker rajun cagun if you ask me.
    and I went with jj tbes, and switched out the speaker cord w/12 gauge wire and a switchcraft right angle end.