Fender Super Champ XD vs. GK 250ML

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NoBrakes, Jan 24, 2012.

1. bluesking55

bluesking55 Supporting Member

have a SCXD in a JD newall 12" cab witha texas heat. Clean chanell is awesome and takes pedals well, Voice 8 gain on 7 is where i live on alot of my leads. Its simply amazing to me

2. 1967SG

1967SG Member

3. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I've seen it, but at that price point -- I had no interest in spending more for computer-based editing or a tap-tempo switch. Still looks like a great product, but my money stayed low for easy amp. Not going up for couple minor features.

4. LarryN

LarryN Member

I found the SCXD to be a very useable amp. I ran it through a Boogie cab with a 30 watt Rola/Celestion. It was very good for me, and loud for 15 watts. Bassman, blackfaces and vintage Marshall were all good in their own way. Gain down, volume up makes for best tones.

5. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

I have the small head/cab thing covered so I really don't need to do that so this should work out for what I'm looking for... BTW... overall it's better than the GK for the low volume stuff.

6. LarryN

LarryN Member

For the 10" in the amp, I used a 60 watt Celestion. The large magnet really helped the girth. No problem with a drummer.

7. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

bone stock SCXD is my bedroom amp, and i just dig it a lot. on channel 2, i regularly use voices 1, 3, 6, 8, 10 and 11. voice 15 is great too, but i don't use it much.

a couple of the gainier voices have an artificial decay that makes them useless... but i don't use them anyway, as i like my CSOD clone for that stuff. channel 1 and channel two, voice 1 both take pedals well, but i usually just plug straight in and go.

8. 1967SG

1967SG Member

Can't say if it's going to be a minor improvement, but a couple of the changes are amp modeling from the mustang series. Also, I think having a closed back might help the higher gain settings. YMMV.

9. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

Maybe I have low expectations, but when I purchased mine, my attitude was that if one or two amp modelers was usable, I would be happy. I haven't been disappointed.

10. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

I didn't care that much for the Mustang so I probably wouldn't consider that an improvement, but the Mustang models may sound better thru the tube power section of the XD.