Fender Super Champ XD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Taylor Daly, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Taylor Daly

Taylor Daly Member

Gotta be honest. Recently my buddy and I, with all the crazy gear we share and have had between the two of us (Twins, Supers, Zs, Marshall, Top Hat, and too many effects to list lol), have been laughing about how much fun we have just plugging into his GDEC while sitting on the couch BSing.

The other day we were at GC (I know I know) looking at their used Gibson LPs and just for fun I plugged a cheapo strat into a Cyber Twin. I didnt play with any kind of volume or really put it through the paces, but damn if it wasnt fun. People actually got in line behind me to jump on it after I started playing it. I know a lot of you true tube snobs will laugh at me, but fun is fun...and I had a good time with all the settings etc. Then I looked at the price tag. Eek. I might pay around half that.

Once back home I started fishing around for a hybrid amp that I could move around the house or take to work and found the Super Champ XD. Everything I read here or on the FDP says people are just loving the little thing. Great clean BF tone, and fun plexi tone stuff (amongst others).

So for $300 new I figured what the hell, and I gotta be honest...Im damn excited. Elderly was the only place I could find that had it in stock. Ive got an empty JDesign 2x12 cab sitting in my office corner that I think I might have to find some speakers for to run the SCXD through.

Anyone have one of these little buggers? What do you think? Tried it through a larger cab yet?

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=2331100000
    [​IMG]

2. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I don't think they're in stores yet.

3. tourist

tourist Member

They are, I have one and love it. Bought it from GC a week ago and I really love it. It sounds awesome! :)

4. Taylor Daly

Taylor Daly Member

Yeah, tons of guys chiming in about theirs on the Fender forum. They seem to love the little bugger.

5. ivers

ivers Member

Absolutely love mine. It's inspiring for practicing, works great for recording. I especially like it through my Marshall JCM 800 1936 cab, but also the sound through the amp's speaker is really nice.

I prefer the twin od setting (#3) on channel two, and channel one for cleans.

6. heavypick

heavypick Member

I love it as well.

7. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

has anyone played with the Vibratone setting? I am glad the hear the basic amp sounds are well received.

8. Zim

Zim Member

It is a great amp! I love mine, great fun around the apartment and at work. Hell, I would gig with it if push came to shove. GO GET THE FOOTSWITCH!!!!!!!!! You end up w/ 2 great amps that way, or hell of a BF clean channel and what ever dirt channel you want.

9. DanD

DanD Member

I use it to record guitar and bass.
    Clean channel is great for bass.
    Tweed models great for guitar.
    I don't use the effects.
    I use the line out and run a dummy load.

Good luck,
    DanD

10. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I heard it as a guitar store and I was really impressed. I told a friend of mine about it and he went to try it and bought it. Theres a couple of modeling effect on it don't care for. But the good sounding ones more thatn make up for that.

11. Griz

Griz Member

Yes, I bought two of them back in December. Great little amps. I ran one into a couple of different cabs to see how big it could sound.

I tried a 1x12 with a V30 and then a Marshall 1965B 4x10. The amp sounds very good through decent speakers. And plenty loud for 15 watts.

12. VinceM

VinceM Member

Has anyone compared this to the Roland Cube 60?

13. ivers

ivers Member

14. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I'll go look for one today. Two weeks ago they were not in stores here. $300 is chump change if it'll sound like a decent Princeton Reverb.

15. Roodboy

Roodboy Member

Are the preamp tubes in the signal path?

16. Crusty

Crusty Senior Member

17. ivers

ivers Member

Used a Sennheiser E906 on the cab.

18. Boogie Boy

Boogie Boy Senior Member

I thought it sounded ok when I played one at a store but obviously the speaker is the weak link.

19. Griz

Griz Member

No, the 12AX7 is not part of the preamp audio path. I forget whether it's a phase inverter or driver ahead of the output tubes. The amp uses digital modelling in the pre and tubes in the output stage. Soundwise, it's nicely implemented.

20. Scott57

Scott57 Supporting Member

I got mine today as a birthday present from my wife. It's a great amp! Great tones, effects without any of the "cringe" factor, a sweet price. I've read where others plan to swap out the speaker and/or argue about whether it's a true tube amp because of where the tubes are in the signal path. All I know is that I played a number of tube amps before making my decision and I was most inspired by this amp.