Fender Super Reverb - Mids or No Mid range? Verdict please..

el34junior

I hear a Super Reverb either has great mids or is scooped??
Not a fan of scooped.
#1 question.. If the mids knob is up to 10 is it still scooped sounding?
Thanks in advance. Super Reverb only please..!

Last edited:
It's blackfaced Fender time....so it's got a bouncy scooped thing going on. Yes. However you use the trem channel, crank it, add your favorite drive that jives well with a Super (not always easy) and you won't worry about scooped anymore...or being heard.

joshofsorts

Silver Supporting Member
I believe the 4x10 speakers may make the Super sound a little more mid-forward than some other Fender Blackface amps, but it is still a pretty scooped tone. There is a "Mid" knob, but from what I know, what it does is more complicated than just adding mids, so just turning up that knob won't do it for you. As Fiftywattmafia said, if you turn up the amp a little & add some kind of pedal with a mid-hump, you will not have a problem. Before I sold my Super Reverb, I use an Arc Klone v2 always on and that did the trick. Tube Screamers also are popular for this.

If you like the Fender-ish sound, but don't like them as scooped, there are plenty of amp makers who are making amps now that address that very need. I have a Tone King Sky King and it gives me some additional mids, but still keeps the general Fender character.

swiveltung

If you crank the mid control on a SR it will have a lot of mids. Whether they are the right mids for you I don't know, I would guess they are lower mids as it gets pretty fat and warm with it cranked much.

old goat

IME the best way to increase the mids on a BF Fender is to crank the volume and turn down the guitar.

el34junior

Thanks! TGP always delivers..
I have a project and a line on a SR..
I'll stick with my Mesa & Marshall heads..

Guinness Lad

Set it like so - bright off, treble 6, midrange 7, bass 1 or 2 Best I heard this amp sound was something similar. This was high volumes, not quiet playing.

Last edited:

bob-i

The tone stack is a bit deceptive, yes it's scooped if you look at the tone controls alone, but the speakers have a mid hump. The design was to provide flat response, as much as possible.

If you set the tones at 5 and volume where it's clean, you'll have pretty flat response. That doesn't alway sound best though. I like more treble and less bass as most folks do. The super can be a bit muddy and farty if you run the bass at 5, 2-3 is better.

silver surfer

I have the Weber A125 and C150 combo in my 66 SR and get good mid tones. Playing on the louder side I set the mid at 4 for what I consider a classic Fender mid scoop tone (no bright switch), and 6 - 7 for noticeable mids. Above that is too much mid for my Fender ears. I would also say it is a lower mid to mid frequency that I hear.

bigben55

I set my 1966 with Fender/Em8nence blueframe 10s as such: V=3.5, bright switch off, T=6.5, M=7.5, B=4. PERFECT strat tone, made even better with my old FD2.

The SR is still not "mid heavy," but definitely more mids than the 2 other vintage Fenders I've owned, a 1965 Tremolux and a 1970 Twin. The SR is the best sounding amp ive ever played

Benny

Platinum Supporting Member
Both of my supers seem to have more midrange content than my Pro Reverbs, or the other various BF Fenders I've had over the years. That said, the supers do come across as somewhat scooped when compared to a tweed deluxe or bassman, or even a brown-era Concert. This can be a useful thing if you're using 335's/175's/LP's like me, and gives you room to use your preferred drive, boost, or eq pedal to emphasize the particular midrange frequencies you like best. And, as others have said, you may need to get comfortable seeing some odd numbers on the tone controls (i.e., bass at 0-3, etc.) if you're looking for maximum midrange, especially as you advance the volume control. Even then, however, a BF super is not a vox or tweed midrange machine in BF clothing.

swiveltung

I've seen SR players that dime the bass, mid and treble. Doesn't work for me. I suppose it's good for a mostly bridge pickup player... I've seen two on stage amps set this way when I go up to see what the settings are. Surprised both times.

Trending Topics