Fender Super Reverb re-issue vs Custom Vibrolux Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MartinC, Jan 14, 2008.

1. MartinC

MartinC Member

Good morning/afternoon/evening.

The specs on these amps look fairly similar, so I was wondering how different they are tone-wise.

I've played a super reverb reissue, but not the custom vibrolux reverb. Can anyone compare the tones (not the specs) for me using the super as a reference point?

Thanks

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

played both. super is the one i went home with.

Pound for pound, the super strikes me as having a more piano-like dynamic. The open back 4x10 moves a lot of air and has a lot of real presence that hits the right nerve with me. Whatever metalheads feel about that "right" bass response that is nice and tight, but never thick or muddy.... that's the way I feel about the upper midrange response of a fender super. And there's that physical sonic quality that doesn't really translate to recordings (unless you have a KILLER sound guy)... that's the difference to me that convinced me to carry around a 70 lb amp.

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I tried both. The SRRI stays clean longer and has fuller, traditional BF cleans. The CVR gets dirty quickly. I nice tone but not as versatile. Isn't this a function of the CVR not having negative feedback? The CVR also hisses pretty heavy compared to other Fender amps I've played.

4. FFTT

FFTT Member

One alternative that I'd like to try is to buy an early 90's
    Vibro-King for $1300-$1500 and have it cut down into
    a head-cab configuration to make it not only more portable
    but to give you more speaker options.

You may have to tweak it a bit to reduce the hum at idle, but overall
    it's one of the best modern day all hand wired Fenders available.

5. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

IU've tried both in local music stores. To my ear, the SR sounded much better in every way:

A few things to note:

Reverb: super reverb very nice tradition Fender style reverb sound. But, the VR had a very shallow reverb, not deep enough even if reverb knob is dimed

Noise: VR much noisier (due to no negative feedback I presume)

VR had break-up way too early for me.

This is just my opinion, yours may differ!

6. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I've owned many original blackface Super Reverbs, and just parted a year ago with a blackface Vibrolux Reverb. A couple observations:

The SRRI is very close to what my original '66 sounded like after a complete restoration.

The "Custom" VR sounds NOTHING like my original Vibrolux Reverb. It lacks the dynamics and warmth, but it does have more midrange honk.

Just my $.02, YMMV.