Fender Super Reverb Reissue footswitch problem

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by joshofsorts, Apr 8, 2015.

1. joshofsorts

joshofsorts Supporting Member

I have a Super Reverb Reissue, and for as long as I can remember, only the "Vibrato" (tremolo) footswitch works, the Reverb footswitch does not. I thought one of the switches was bad, so I replaced both footswitches with higher quality footswitches. Still didn't work. Tried a footswitch from a Deluxe Reverb Reissue, still nothing. Does that mean the footswitch jack or the relay needs to be replaced? Luckily it is stuck on, so I can control it with the knobs if I need to, but would love to have foot-switchable control again, especially since I have an Eventide H9 now that I will be using for some reverb action.

2. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

The reissue uses a tip-ring-sleeve 1/4" plug for the footswitch, right? The sleeve is the ground/shield connection, the tip goes to one side of the trem switch, and the ring goes to one side of the reverb switch. You said the reverb won't shut off using the footswitch, so:

Unplug the footswitch from the amp, and take an unwired 1/4" tip/sleeve plug (or a short guitar cord's plug) and plug that into the footswitch jack instead. Since the tip/sleeve plug has no ring, it will just short the ring to the sleeve in the footswitch jack, shutting off the reverb. If it doesn't kill the 'verb, there is a problem in the amp.

If it does kill the 'verb, the trouble is in the footswitch, so:

Take the plastic back off the footswitch body so you can get at the switches. With an ohmmeter, measure from the ring of the plug to the wire going to the reverb switch from the cable (not the side tied to the other switch and the shield). You should have continuity from the plug ring to that side of the reverb switch. If not, you've got either a cable issue, or a bad connection in the plug to the ring lug.

Good luck with it!

Someguitarguy likes this.
  3. joshofsorts

Thanks Jeff, I tried the patch cable trick and it did shut off my reverb. I guess I will have to give my footswitch another looking at. Like I said before, I had tried another footswitch with the amp and I seem to remember it didn't work as well which is why I assumed it wasn't the footswitch. Just glad that it seems it's something I can remedy on my own!

4. Jeff Gehring

If it comes down to a bad switch, Carlings are a good one to use:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-H493

If you get one of these, you'll want to use the knurled nut on the inside (to set the depth that the switch is mounted) and use the hex nut on the outside so you can get a wrench/nutdriver on it. I only mention because they always come with the nuts in the opposite order, like the pic shows.

5. joshofsorts

Thanks Jeff, I believe I already replaced the switches with Carlings years ago because I thought the original footswitches looked cheap. Maybe I rewired it wrong or there is an issue on the plug end. I will investigate.

6. joshofsorts

Jeff, I gave it another look and the cable had snapped at the plug end. Re-soldered and everything is working fine now. Thanks for the help!

7. Jeff Gehring

Glad you're back in business!

8. Someguitarguy

Someguitarguy Member

Ha. My verb stopped working at a gig the other nite.. after reading this I took the jack apart. Low n behold it seems a monkey wired mine. The ring part of the trs is shorted to ground because it was soldered underneath the lug rather than over so it couldn't touch ground

Modern Fender...

Jeff Gehring likes this.