Fender Super Reverb Reissue...opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Twanger, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Twanger

Twanger Member

I’m considering buying a SRRI in the near future. How do these compare to the older BF & SF ones? I’ve tried the Bassman LTD and the TRRI and I think that they’re pretty great amps for the money, especially the Bassman RI, but I haven’t had a chance to check out the SRRI yet. I did a search here on TGP and I saw lots of favorable comments on the SRRI, I was just wondering what the current consensus is…Thanks!

2. Peppy

Peppy Member

I had one for several years...great amp. I only sold it to obtain a mid-90s Vibro-King. I grew up playing the blackface ones, when they were new, hard to remember exactly how they were 40 years ago. To me the SRRI are fine...especially in a gig situation.

3. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Own one, LOVE it. Other than the newly released Princeton Reverb Reissue, (own one of those as well) I think the SRRI is one of the better reissues as far a tonal accuracy goes. I owned a stellar sounding 1966 Super Reverb for 15 years, and although the 66's was a tad "sweeter" and had better reverb (orignal tank) the SRRI is a stellar sounding amp in it's own right. Cranked it up to 6 the other day with my SRV Strat (volume 6, treble 6, mid 3, bass 2, reverb to taste) and I must admit that was one of the better tones I've heard in years.

Highly recommended.

:)

4. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Gasing for one. I played on in GC and I was very moved by the beauty of the tone of the 4x10 Super Reverb.

5. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

They really are great amps, especially at the pricepoint! The reverb and trem are both excellent, and the Jensens are surprisingly sweet once they're broken in.

6. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

great amp for the money! I had one for a while and I really dug it, but I really missed FX loops so I let it go. +1 on the fact that its a very well done reissue.

7. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Needs good speakers (preferably Webers) and tubes IMHO. Then you're in business.

Tom

8. Joshlespaul1952

Joshlespaul1952 Member

I was actually considering one a while ago, until I read their perceptible volume is equal to that of a Twin Reverb, with the amount of air the 4/10's are pushing in comparison to the 2/12's...true?

Sorry to hijack the thread by the way...

9. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I have an original and love it, even though it's crazy loud! I've played the reissues and think they are great sounding. I would change the speakers to something warmer. I would just ask Ted Weber what I needed for "warm." Then, I would have 99.99% of my original.

10. DannyDay

DannyDay Member

Mine sucks.
    It's OK for low volume stuff, but as soon as it gets cranked up it has this annoying high end that's unacceptable.

I realize I probably got a lemon. I changed tubes, biased, changed tubes again... Whatever. I can't get rid of it fast enough.

No, I won't sell it to you... I couldn't do that to a fellow TGP'er. :>) I think I'll donate it to the local community college or something. My 2 cents,

DD.

11. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

the speakers aren't so great. I changed mine out for some Webers, took all the fart away, pretty spendy to change out 4 speakers, though.

12. Twanger

Twanger Member

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like the SRRI is worth looking into. I would probably change out the speakers eventually anyway, just because I'm a tweaker (what guitarist isn't?). I've read great things about the Kendrick Blackframes, apparently Michael Landau swears by them in his Super...not cheap though, about $150 per speaker I think. I like the Eminence Copperheads, those are much cheaper too...

Regarding tube swaps, do these have an internal bias pot/bias point like the DeVilles and the Bassman LTD?

13. Vegas Bob

Vegas Bob Member

If you want the original, Cowtown Guitars in Vegas had two Blackfaces in stock for about a grand. Spend the other $350 you'll save on a reissue and have Vegas amp guru Dennis Milan go over it for you and you'll be back living in '65! Just my two cents. Tell them Bob sent you...

14. MartinC

MartinC Member

I plan on owning one at some point. Just no room or need for anything other than a 1x12 channel switcher combo at the moment. I tried one in my last search and was so delighted with the tone that I was prepared to bend my portability limits AND go down the OD pedal path for the first time. Practicality steered me back to the 1x12 channel switcher I ended up with. I was thinking more along the lines of a hand wired copy with all tasty bits installed from the start and came across:

http://www.vintagesoundamps.com/buynow.htm

All research I did into the Vintage Sound stuff came up extremely positive.

15. Blues_N_Rock

Blues_N_Rock Member

+1000 for Vintage Sound Amps (AKA Rick Hayes) Super Reverb. It is not a reissue and it cost more than one but it is well built and sounds beautiful with the 4 webers. This is definitely a keeper.:AOK

16. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

I've used one for about 3 years with fantastic sound. Like someone else said...pretty true to the original. My only complaint is it is pretty awkward and heavy. But the sound is great. Great price too.

17. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I can't say I have used them in a Super, but I had a Blackframe and an Eminence Legend which I used in a Kendrick Roughneck. I much preferred the Legend to the Blackframe. I know those speakers are supposed to be the end all be all, but for me it wasn't.

Mike

18. Peppy

Peppy Member

I found mine fairly easy to carry (I'm 53) as it's tall, thus it doesn't bang against your leg when walking, like my AC30 and my Vibro-King both do.

19. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Ted Weber is getting ready to release (mid July I'm told for production) a fairly accurate copy of the vaunted CTS Alnico 10's found (stock) in most mids 60's Super Reverbs. Check out Weber VST and look under Weber Speakers and then under Chicago Vintage Series - Alnico CTA10. They look pretty cool, I'm sure they will sound amazing, and at $65.00 each, it won't break the bank to give them a try. I don't mind the Jensen reissues in my SRRI, (once they are broken in) but the sweet sounding 66' Super Reverb I owned for 15 years had the CTS speakers in them and they sounded VERY good. Certainly going to give the Webers a try once they go into production.

http://www.tedweber.com/

:)

20. Twanger

Twanger Member

Thanks for the heads up on the new Webers..

Once again, does anyone know if the SRRI has an internal bias pot and test point...I would definitely want to experiment with different 6L6s...