Fender Super Reverb Reissue, Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by timmott, Aug 13, 2008.

1. timmott

timmott Member

What do you guys think of the Fender 65 Super Reverb Reissue? I'm playing a Marshall TSL100 right now through a 1960A cab and I was thinking about trading the head for the Fender. The Marshall had great medium gain tones, but I'm starting to play more Jazz and Blues and was thinking the Fender would be better for that.

How do you guys like the Super Reverb? I hear that it's got one of the best clean tones out there. I'm playing a lot of Low-Medium gain music now, like a bunch of Classic Rock and newer bands like Interpol and Death Cab for Cutie as well as The Fall of Troy. I know the Super Reverb doesn't have a Distortion Channel so how does it sound with Distortion pedals? What pedals would be worth looking into? Any opinions or input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Tim-

2. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I think it's one of Fender's better amps. I've played originals and the RIs and while there are differences I don't think that the original is automatically a better amp. In fact I really like the RI a lot.

I have gigged with them quite a bit in a rockabilly band where I needed clean and dirty tones. I used a variety of dirtboxes - my favourite for a "slightly dirty almost clean tweedy" kinda tone was the Badcat Two-tone. But I had great results with the Timmy, Menatone Working Man's Blue and Dirty Blonde, Xotic BB etc.

The reverb in the SRRI is really good, the trem is good and the stage-filling tones are fab. I could get it loud enough for my band clean, esp if I used a SS rectifier. I didn't think it overdrove as well as an original, but that was pretty much academic anyway because it was so darn loud by then I could never have gigged using it like that.

3. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

guy in my band uses a late 70s and love the way it cuts n contrasts with my old JMP. clean but a bit of breakup. gave hime a spare black plate for V1. When he bought it we comapred it to the BF RI. was not even a question the 77 even if it was UL had a sweeter 3d sounds and it was about half the price. he uses a blues drive for fuzz and had a JTM 30 before and is very happy. look around and get an old 70's better made and better tone IMO and it still might be cheaper

4. timmott

timmott Member

How does the SRRI compare to the DRRI and Princeton RI? I heard the SRRI needs to be set really loud to get some break up compared to the DRRI or Princeton. What do you guys think of the DRRI and Princeton?

5. Peppy

Peppy Member

I much prefer the SRRI to the DRRI and PRRI...no contest. If you need breakup early nothing wrong with a pedal. As to the general tone of the reissue Super Reverbs they work...have worked...for me. I grew up with the originals and the new ones are fine and quite consistent across the individual ones.

6. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I own a SRRI, and I played and owned a VERY nice sounding 1966 original for 15+ years. While I'll be the first to admit that a well tuned original Super Reverb is a pretty spectacular sounding amp, the SRRI is also a great sounding amp in it's own right, and most likely one of Fenders more accurate reissues. IMHO
    I also own a PRRI, and after switching out the stock speaker for a GREAT sounding Weber 10A125, I think it's a VERY nice sounding amp as well. Pretty much apples and oranges when compared to the overall volume, (projection) and clean headroon of a Super Reverb, but still pretty nice for what it offers in a low wattage, VERY sweet sounding amp. Killer Strat amp IMHO.

:)

7. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

8. stump

stump Member

I have a Silverface Super reverb and a TSL head. I've played the SRRI and think it's a fine sounding amp. As an option though, how about using the clean channel on the TSL? I'm able to get mine to sound real nice for cleanish jazz and blues. This would allow for you to use the other two channels if needed.