1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Fender Super reverb speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Slotunes, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Slotunes

Slotunes Supporting Member

Howdy..I recently picked up a 66 BF Super with the alnicos.What are some good replacements.I guess Im afraid to really lay into 40 year old speakers.Id like to save them for special gigs or sessions, besides the prices on these are through the roof.Ive heard Tommy Castro uses the Eminence and He's got great tone.Any help much appreciated.

2. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Tommy uses the Eminence Legend 105-8. Great speakers.

3. karmadave

karmadave Member

If you like CTS Alnico's (which I do) Weber is supposed to be coming out with his version, called CTS-10's.

From his BBS...

The CTS 10 is a warmer, lower efficiency speaker that is really good for overdrive because of its breakup characteristics and lack of edginess.

His current Vintage 10" replacement speakers:
    10x150 more low end, more punch and dynamics.
    10x125 more high end detail.

A = Alnico
    F = Ceramic

Some folks like to mix both.

For more info, I'd recommend you check his website:

www.tedweber.com

Or send him an email at: ted@webervst.com

Eminence are good too, I'm just not as knowlegable so no recommendations...

-KD

4. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

That's what I have in my PTP 65' SR repro. The Legend 105's are very balanced and punchy ,and are about the best value on speakers out there right now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Roe

Roe Member

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Eminence Legend 102 alnico's. There's a seller on ebay with the kapton former version(35 watts) at $34.ea. I installed the paper former version(20 watts) in my brown concert and they sound great.

7. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

Hi,

Just curious as to how you know this? This might be another good option for me. I love Tommy Castro's tone! :) Thanks for the info.

8. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

I got that from Tommy's sound guy after a show. Great guy, and he was most enthusiastic that he and Tommy are very happy with the tone of the Legends.

This was after a very small, intimate show and they poured their hearts out to the crowd. A great night.

Love Tommy, love his band, love his tone.

9. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

Cool! I agree in all due respects. Thanks again MB!! :)

10. ampholic

ampholic Member

I have 2 Weber alnicos and 2 Weber ceramics in mine and it sounds absolutely deadly. The mixing of speakers is quite common now in all the boutique amps and for good reason, you truly can get the best of both worlds. The only down side in my amp is the ceramics add to the weight. My super is topping 70 pounds!

11. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

+ 1 on the Weber mix. i have Weber ceramic California and ceramic Michigan in my SR. love em! the low end is insane, i was looking for a high efficient speaker with clean headroom and heavy bass response and these fit the bill perfectly.:dude

12. karmadave

karmadave Member

Mixing alnico and ceramic speakers, in a SR, is very common and allows you to better "tune" the amp to your own tastes.

One more reason why the Super Reverb is the ultimate stage amp for Blues...

-KD

13. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

In my own Super, the Uncle Spot, I have two Weber P10Q's on top and two C10Q's on the bottom. Very 3D tone and I'll probably never change this setup.

I often wonder why we haven't heard more feedback from people who've tried the DT10's that Derek Trucks uses? They got a lot of good press here last year, and then not much since...

14. Cody McLain

Cody McLain Member

I'm curious about those DT10's as well mountain...

15. Slotunes

Slotunes Supporting Member

Thanks for all the responses!Hey, Ampholic, which Webers do you have in yours?Im looking for a "mild breakup" over 6.Thanks in advance.

16. ampholic

ampholic Member

I have the identical setup as Mountain, twp P10Q's on the top and C10Q's on the bottom. When I first got them i was told that installing them this way is critical to the tone whereas at first I thought I would put one of each on the top and bottom.
    I'm not sure about turning it to 6. I have one loud Super and can rarely turn it past 3 or 4 even on big stages! I may have to look at some different tubes to allow mine to break up a bit earlier.

17. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

And another vote for the alnico/ceramic Weber mix.

I run 10A125 in the top and 10F150 in the bottom, all with undoped cones. Liked it so much I built a 4x10 cabinet with the same mix for use with other amps.

18. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Todd how did you get that CUSTOM member designation "Fender Junkie".
    Did you have to pay the Forum to get it? I was just curious because I'm a Fender Aficionado myself and wouldn't mind have that designation under my moniker.:)

19. RANMAN

RANMAN Member

I have a "66" SR also. It has 2 original CTS alnico's and 2 Kendricks Blackframes in a X pattern. This mix sounds very good to my ears although I would like to find CTS's to make the amp all original. If you are interested in selling or trading, email me.

20. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

You can use it, but you have to pay me royalties ;)

Go to User Control Panel, Edit Profile, fill in "Custom User Title".