Fender Super Sonic 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by adlibmusic, Mar 21, 2006.

1. adlibmusic

adlibmusic Member

I got one of these today. Here is the first clip with lots of gain. Guitar was a JF1 Peavey.
    SS hi gain
    I'm going to make another clip of just noodling with some narration and go thru each channel, if anyone is interested.
    BTW, I played it thru my 1960A Marshall cab. I think I like that tone even better. Maybe I should have gotten the reverbless head.....

2. adlibmusic

adlibmusic Member

Ok, here's another clip that just goes thru the channels on the amp.
    Channels

3. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

4. macmax77

macmax77 Member

i want you to know that i took the clip and put it on the HC forums for people to hear the new Beastie from Fender,thanks for the clips:RoCkIn :AOK

5. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

Thanks for the clips...........sounds great .....even though the amp has been ripped apart by some previous posters. You've got to hand it to Fender for stepping outside the box!

6. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Nice Clips man...Thanks a lot!!!

7. fig

fig Member

Sounds really good! :)
    The JF1 sounds great too!

Greg

8. adlibmusic

adlibmusic Member

So far, it's the only one of my guitars I really like on the amp. I just need more playing time....

9. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

What a great demo, and judging by the clips, a great sounding amp. My concerns based on the clip. Can you get more sparkle in the cleans? is there a bright switch or something? Both sounded great however. The gain channels sounded excellent, and NOTHING like a Prosonic to me. (An amp which I liked) Very nice tones. If this was a clip of a high dollar boutique amp, guys would be RAVING about them. I would just like to hear some more sparkle in the cleans. Thanks for making the great clips. :AOK

10. scottl

scottl Member

The first clip sounds the best of the bunch to me.... Need to crank it at home. Sounds like it could use a bit of low mid stuff, but pretty smooth (at least on my lousy work speakers)

11. Normster

Normster Member

So...when were you gonna tell me you posted a clip? :)

Sounds pretty sweet. Can't wait to hear it live!

12. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

Nice tone, thanks for posting.

13. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Very nice!

As in my recent thread about clips, you have done a great job of showing off the amp and features.

Oh yeah....nice playing too!

On a tone note, that first clip doesn't sound too far away from a <name deleted by sensor>. Buying this one, to think I could have 25 backups.

EP

14. scottl

scottl Member

Considering Adlib has a Bassman modded into Dclone by Normster, we need a blow by blow comparison....

15. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Not bad. Not bad at all.

My only major "complaints" are that the clean sounds don't quite have the depth I like and the lead sound is a little too '80s sounding for my taste. Don't know if a little creative modding and/or speaker swap would fix that, but if so, I can definitely see myself using one.

What difference do you hear with the Marshall cab (and what speakers do you have in it)?

16. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I brought my Fuchs mod 2 x 12, (currently loaded with Eminence RWB's) into the shop this morning along with another 2 x 12 loaded with Tonespotters. (for the record, the Super Sonic we have in the shop is a black 1 x 12 combo with the stock Vintage 30)
    The Super Sonic sounded MUCH better plugged into either the Tonespotters or the RWB's, but I felt that the slightly "scooped" characteristics of the Tonespotters did not sound that great for some of the smoother overdriven tones. To my ears, and most that were around at the time of the test, the Eminence RWB's sounded the best. They REALLY had a postive impact on the cleans, and even though I still don't like the Vibrolux setting, I thought the Bassman setting actually sounded quite good, albeit still lacking in character and note depth. The "Burn" channel is where the RWB's added a very nice "smooth" (positive) character to this amp, and I found that I could come "relatively" close to the singing, smooth, overdriven character, and tones of the Fuchs (Texas Tea setting more or less) but with less harmonic complexity, depth/note fullness, and dynamics.
    All in all, the tests were on a positve note, and it was nice to see that this amp responded in a rather positive manner to speaker changes. IMHO, the Celestion Vintage 30 is NOT the right speaker for this combo/amp and (again IMHO) ANY stock Eminence speaker would have sounded better right out of the box.
    IF I was going to buy this amp, I would purchase the head WITHOUT THE REVERB, (worst I've heard on a Fender, and even on 1 it's LOUD), and match it with a nice 1 x 12 or 2 x 12 cabinet. With that said though, this amp won't make me sell my Fuchs or my Fender 57 Tweed twin anytime soon.
    I think that head matched with the right cab and a suitable reverb/delay pedal will be capable of some nice tones, as I do find the first clip posted through the 4 x 12 cabinet quite nice. The combo however, (IMHO of course, and with all due repsect to the The Gear Page member that posted the clips, thanks by the way) really doesn't do anything for me.

Chuck

17. adlibmusic

adlibmusic Member

I'll try for more sparkle tonight. I had the tone controls both a 5....

Scott - I'll try another clip and crank it just for you!!!! Well, not really; it's for me!! :)

18. adlibmusic

adlibmusic Member

I played a head before this combo and the burn channel was thin, sounded terrible. When I heard they finally had a combo, I gave it a try and bought it on the spot!!

19. adlibmusic

adlibmusic Member

Sorry for the multiple posts.

Thanks to all of you guys for the comments. I know I have been waiting anxiously to hear this amp ever since I knew about it. I figured others would want to hear it also.

super reverb - I agree about the speakers, but I like the Vibrolux the best, for cleans. Has a little crunch to it. So far, I have liked my 1960b marshall 412's tone the best. I also have a MesaBoogie single 12 cab with a V30 in it. Even that cab sounds better than the combo cab...with the same speaker! I do have a tonespotter laying around, so I'll give it a try as well.
    As I work with/learn this amp, I'll try to post some additional clips with different speakers and other amp settings.

20. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Don'y be sorry about the multiple posts, keep 'em coming! I'm on the fence with getting the combo and getting a head box made for it or just getting the head and picking a custom cab and reverb tank.