Fender Super Sonic 60

Lullabies

Anyone who uses this amp can you help answer some questions I have?

Gonna be getting this amp used and was curious what the headroom was like and if it sounded good with fuzz and distortion pedals. Also does it have a Extension out ? I want to run a 8 ohm cab with the internal 8 ohm speaker.

It is an older SS 60 blonde tolex model.

thanks!

Last edited:

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I had one. The clean channel is stupid loud. Headroom won't be an issue. I don't use pedals for dirt, so I can't answer that directly. The clean channel is supposedly modeled after a bassman, so I would assume it does.

AR-305

I hated the stock speaker. Great clean headroom and the lead channel is so good that I never even tried pedals with it.

Lullabies

I like to hear this guys... I'm for sure getting it.

Why did you not like the stock speaker though? It is a Vintage 30 which I LOVE.. I have a 2x12 cab with them even

AR-305

I'm an EV man and the V30 imparted an upper mid spike that was (to me) just irritating in a studio environment. It was very good in a live mix, but this particular V30 seemed different than others I've had. It was well suited toward the very high gain tones of the lead channel but seemed to take something away from the chimmy cleans one expects from a Fender. Just my own opinion, I'm sure it may suit others quite well.

Lullabies

I'm an EV man and the V30 imparted an upper mid spike that was (to me) just irritating in a studio environment. It was very good in a live mix, but this particular V30 seemed different than others I've had. It was well suited toward the very high gain tones of the lead channel but seemed to take something away from the chimmy cleans one expects from a Fender. Just my own opinion, I'm sure it may suit others quite well.
Ahh ok... I'm more of a colored speaker kind of guy so Celestions are some of my favorites.

I'm excited to get this amp and try out the lead channel through a cab too. Since the internal speaker is 8 ohm I'm just gonna unplug the internal speaker and run the cab in the same jack on the back of the amp (my cab is 8 ohm)

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Good amp! As mentioned, really loud. The Vibrolux setting on the clean channel is a bit thin, but the Bassman sounds good. Good pedal platform. The OD can sound really good if you spend some time to dial it in. The loop is cool even if you don't put pedals into it you can use it as a boost.

Lullabies

Good amp! As mentioned, really loud. The Vibrolux setting on the clean channel is a bit thin, but the Bassman sounds good. Good pedal platform. The OD can sound really good if you spend some time to dial it in. The loop is cool even if you don't put pedals into it you can use it as a boost.
Wow awesome! I was just reading the manual online and read about the loop boost trick. Very cool.

It also said you could have the internal 8 ohm speaker connected and add a 8ohm cab for the amp to automatically changes itself to a 4 ohm load.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
I had one. It was great. Vibrolux setting was awesome on humbuckers, the bassman ws awesome on singles...

I did two things that made it GREAT... instead of good.

1. I replaced the volume potentiometer on the clean channel to one that didn't hit full volume at 2. The problem isn't that the clean channel is too loud, it's that Fender put a wonky potentiometer in there, probably so people know when they try it in the store that it's LOUD.
2. I put a 5751 in V1 or V2 (can't remember which).

I loved mine. Sold it because I don't play amps anymore, I use a modeler.

03hal

Great clean channel, I liked the vibrolux mode with hum buckers. Loud! Never tried it with pedals.

Lead channel wasn't my favorite but there are good sounds in there.

Lullabies

I had one. It was great. Vibrolux setting was awesome on humbuckers, the bassman ws awesome on singles...

I did two things that made it GREAT... instead of good.

1. I replaced the volume potentiometer on the clean channel to one that didn't hit full volume at 2. The problem isn't that the clean channel is too loud, it's that Fender put a wonky potentiometer in there, probably so people know when they try it in the store that it's LOUD.
2. I put a 5751 in V1 or V2 (can't remember which).

I loved mine. Sold it because I don't play amps anymore, I use a modeler.
Cool I actually have a 5751 lying around so I could throw that in there. The tubes in this one I'm getting are the stock Groove tubes so they will probably need to be changed and biased.

Sounds like it has the same volume pot as the Devilles ! ....

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
The tubes in this one I'm getting are the stock Groove tubes so they will probably need to be changed and biased.
I doubt it. I thought the included GTs sounded just fine.

Lullabies

has anyone attached a 8 ohm cab to this amp with the internal 8 ohm speaker ? Is it safe ? the manual said if you have the internal speaker plugged in and attach an 8 ohm cab the amp automatically changes to a 4 ohm load.. I'm assuming its safe then but just want to make sure before I try it ! thanks guys

Gemini2

I hated the stock speaker. Great clean headroom and the lead channel is so good that I never even tried pedals with it.
Great clean channel, I liked the vibrolux mode with hum buckers. Loud! Never tried it with pedals.

Lead channel wasn't my favorite but there are good sounds in there.
I had one. The clean channel is stupid loud. Headroom won't be an issue. I don't use pedals for dirt, so I can't answer that directly. The clean channel is supposedly modeled after a bassman, so I would assume it does.
FWIW, it does not handle OD pedals as good as a DRRI. On it's own it's great. With pedals, DRRI wins.

Lullabies

FWIW, it does not handle OD pedals as good as a DRRI. On it's own it's great. With pedals, DRRI wins.
Ahhh let down.. I also am not fond of the lack of middle knob on the vintage channel.. I don't plan on using the burn channel at all.

Lullabies

OP, let us know how your pedals sound. Maybe I had a dud?
It's possible. I will post a little review once I get the amp tomorrow/weekend and try it out at a decent volume with my pedals. I loved how the 59 Bassman reissue took my pedals so hopefully this amp sounds similar to that. Also very interested in the vibrolux sounds too.

For me the ultimate test of a new amp is if it takes my Fulltone Ultimate Octave fuzz pedal well! I love the sound of this pedal but some amps just hate it!

cap47

You can't go wrong! I own one and have retubed with Old Stock tubes, RCA 6L6GC Black Plates and various brands Old Stock in the preamp. Best amp I have owned! Also put a Man O War in it and run it with an extension Avatar cab. Love it!

Trending Topics