Fender Super Sonic, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Clifford-D, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I just purchased the Fender Super Sonic 1-12 blond w/ oxblood grill.
    It's the color of clotted blood. But it looks really nice.

I've had history, I bought one three years ago and the thing crapped out in the first playing at home. It was a hum, others have complained about that same thing. Ibought a Blues Deluxe RI and have enjoyed the amp, no problems. It did cause me to buy pedals though.

The Super Sonic is oftem compared to the Lonestar Special but I don't feel it's a fair comparison because they don't sound at all the same.
    The Super Sonic is definalely Fender in tone. People say the Vibrolux isn't the same as the original, but it still sounds great and sparkling.
    Same story with the Bassman and again it is in the family for sure very close. And then the Burn channel. I dig it. Does really good SRV or Back in Black depending how the cascading volumes are set. I want the Texas tone.

I'm also not planning on getting rid of my pedals. I have two flavors of od
    Zendrive2 and Greenline, and a Fuzzy Lady fuzz, an Empress ParaEq
    Harddrive delay, Red Witch Pentavocal Tremolo and a Benwah.

And I want to use my Blues Deluxe for stereo from the delay.

Of course I'll leave most of that at home when going to the blues jam.

I'm playing blues, jazz, rock and all of it fuzed in various ways. I dig Kimock, Frisell, SRV, Ford tones.

I've heard tube changes and speaker changes have been great for some people. I heard that about the Blues Deluxe and ended going back to stock.

What are your thoughts on the Super Sonic amp? I dig it so it doesn't matter, let me know what you think.

2. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Great amp but more power than I need. I'll bet it would be cool into some sort of 4 X 12.

3. samjbrowne

samjbrowne Member

We've got a LSS and a Fender SS in my band, and yeah it's nothing like the LSS - way louder, for one, and the clean is chimier and fuller. The overdriven sounds are pretty good for what they are (high gain they are not) and it takes some pedals ok. I find my LSS to be much better for taking a wide range of pedals and a bit easier to work with volume wise - if you want loud, it'll do loud but you can get great tone at low volume, unlike the SS.

I tried a bunch of pedals with the SS, and what works really well is a UK company called Rothwell. The "Switchblade" and the "Hellbender" both sounded great for med - high gain stuff. We opted for the Switchblade.

4. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

i've been super impressed with the one i've played. all channels sounded great, to me, and the burn channel went way further than i had expected in the gain department.

lots of volume.

5. HarmonicDistort

HarmonicDistort Member

Clif, I bought a Super-Sonic last January. It had a loud hum too. Putting a low noise NOS tube like a Tung-Sol 7025 in the V5 slot eliminates the hum. Half of this tube is the final pre-amp gain to the power amp. So, a low noise tube here quietens the amp.

6. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Thanks folks for the good feedback.

Can anyone recommend a good tube and speaker compliment?
    HarnonicDistort I hear what you say :)

7. HarmonicDistort

HarmonicDistort Member

Clif -

The funtion of each tube per Ed Treat at Fender:

V1 – Input gain both channels, Vintage/Burn stage 1
    V2 – Vibrolux/Bassman stage 1,2
    V3 – Vintage/Burn stage 2, 3
    V4 – Preamp mix gain, FX send
    V5 – FX return, Final preamp gain to power amp
    V6 – Phase Inverter
    V7 – Output
    V8 – Output
    V9 – Reverb driver
    V10 – Reverb recovery

Here is my current Super-Sonic 112 tube confinguration. Hope you find it helpful.

I have dozens of notes on tube swaps for the Super-Sonic and will be happy to share with you or anyone interested.

Rick

V1: 12AX7 It feeds all stages. Most affects TONE and GAIN. A low current 5751 will sterilize touch dynamics and tone.[Telefunken, Raytheon, RCA, Bugle Boy, Mullard, GE 7025, Tung-Sol 7025, Sylvannia], Sometimes substitue a 12AY7
    V2: 12AX7 Most affects the Clean Channel [Mullard LP & SP, Telefunken, GE LP & SP, Tung-Sol]
    V3: 12AX7 Most affects the Burn Channel; The quality and quantity of distortion. [Sylvannia, Raytheon, Bugle Boy, Mazda, RCA, Mullard, Telefunken, Siemens, Tung-Sol, Ken-Rad, GE, Westinghouse,
    V4: 12AX7 [Any low noise tube; Siemens]
    V5: 12AX7 [Any tube quality low noise; Siemens]
    V6: 12AX7 substitution is more musical PI than the OEM 12AT7 [GE, Sylvania, Telefunken, Mullard, Raytheon]
    V7: 6L6GC [GE, RCA black plates, Philips 6L6WGB, Sovtek KT66, Penta KT-66]
    V8: 6L6GC [GE, RCA black plates, Philips 6L6WGB, Sovtek KT66, Penta KT-66]
    V9: 12AU7 [Any quality, low noise; substituting with a Mullard 12AU7 for less noise, reverb, but adds bass over the OEM 12AT7]
    V10: 12AX7[ Any quality, low noise, Tung-Sol 7025]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010