Fender Super Twin/Bandmaster Reverb project

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by bigjimphelan, May 2, 2015.

1. bigjimphelan

bigjimphelan Member

A quick question for the knowledgeable and handy types around here.

I have an opportunity to pickup a 70s Fender Super Twin cab.
    (Dimensions listed as 19¾ x 26 x 10½.)

Thinking about turning my Bandmaster Reverb head into a 2x12 combo in to make use of some 12" speakers I have around the place. I'd probably have to get one of my local builders/techs to do the job for me.

The BMR dimensions are listed as 13 x 25 x 9-1/2.

So it should fit, though will need some adjustments (eg. re-drill for chassis straps etc) and maybe some front panel filling?

Has anyone tried something similar to this (ie. with a Super Twin cab)?

Tips, advice etc all welcome! Thanks!

2. WaltC

WaltC Member

I wouldn't haul a Super Twin Cab 3 feet for *Union* Scale! I'd stick to the head and pick up a decent 2x12 cab, put in a couple of good speakers with the right impedance, and go from there.

My 2¢

3. mxvin

mxvin Member

JD Newell will make you a really nice pine cab for that chassis. I have two BMR projects with his cabs. I single 15 and a blonde 2 x 10. He can do a 2 x 12 and better than a Fenders 70's cab. Good luck with the project
    http://www.newellamps.com/

4. bigjimphelan

bigjimphelan Member

Thanks for the responses and tips. I'm in Australia which rules out Newell, but there is a good cabinet/amp builder near me.

I figured the BMR head is so big I might as well make it a combo and the Super Twin 2x12 cab presented itself.

Also considered a 2x10 combo as I have a pair of EV Force 10s gathering dust here as well. Too many options.

5. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Oh yeah :) my vote is for a smaller pine combo w/ Force tens, 5/8 inch plywood baffle if that'll hold.