1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fender Super/Vibro Champ XD vs. Roland Cube vs. Tech21 Trademarks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Anyone have any opions comparing all or any of these mini amps SPECIFICALLY for recording direct? I have a line 6 Tone port (and have messed with Guitar Rig 2 & 3) and while I really like the ease of use, it's just not working for me (especially for lead sounds). I really like the Micro Cube but I had a used one that wasn't working well for recording because it was slightly damaged (would digital clip WAY too soon).
    I think I need an outboard amp/modeler for recording. I figure between the Roland Cube, Tech21 Trademark 10 and new Fender XD's there has to be something that will work for low volume pratice/jamming, headphone practice AND recording direct? Let's here your thoughts.

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've used a TM10 this way and it sounds pretty good. There's a funny kind of disconnect feeling in the higher gain modes that doesn't exactly emulate a cranked Marshall. My solution would be an original Sansamp pedal (or Sansamp Classic if you can't find one) with a small tube amp (from the Zvex nano up to maybe the Vibrochamp or Princeton Reverb). The Sansamp records beautifully and will give all the possible flavors you want to your small tube amp for practice.

3. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Super champ xd by a mile.

4. Gasp100

Really? I was hoping someone was going to say that - I just ordered one about 10 minutes after posting this morning (even before researching the crap out of it which is unlike me...):confused:
    I'm very interested to hear this thing recording via the line out. The Line 6 Toneport is on it's way back to Musician's Friend (although I do think it's a GREAT unit for a noob recording guitarist who is just starting out). There was just a little too much digital brittle sound that I could not get rid of and I also wanted to keep my desk space cleaning (I prefer racked gear).
    I'm sure this Super Champ XD won't replace my Rivera Fandango, but for practicing/recording I'm hoping it fits the bill and makes things easier. After removing the Line 6 and going back to my Seasound Solo I spent more time with Guitar Rig 2 and got the latency down to 8ms with no pops/clicks (yet) and even that is looking up as well.
    Anyway, looking forward to playing this thing soon - I'll review once it's in house.
    :RoCkIn

5. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

Does the line out have speaker and/or power amp simulation on it? I'm considering adding one to my arsenal as well for small gigs where I could use an amp that is an accurate low volume monitor and a direct to mixer rig. I'm assuming the 6V6 power stage isn't used in the line out, so I'm a little concerned that the line out tone will be noticeably different unless it has speaker and power stage emulation.

D

6. Gasp100

Ummm... I'm wondering that myself as well :jo
    Actually, I just want to be able to run direct out into my DAW. I assume I could use GR2's speaker emulation somehow or another if need be, I also assume there has to be "some" type of speaker simulation of the modeling on the direct out or it might sound like crap? I guess I'll have to wait and see.

FWIW, this review looks pretty solid of this little amp:
    http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?p=33540&sid=2e30f506d0910d4cef312f31b671b561

7. tdu

tdu Member

I'd have to go with the Super Champ XD as well. I have owned a Tech 21 Trademark 60, and tried out both the SCXD and the Cube. I'd have to go with the Super Champ because of how great it sounds clean, and how you can push channel 1 to overdrive. You just can't get that effect with the other 2 amps very well.

The SCXD's gain tones aren't the best I have heard, but they match the Tech 21 IMO.

8. Gasp100

Has ANYONE used the Line Out on the Super Champ XD to record direct? I'm getting worried that the line out is ONLY for hitting a PA or another amp or something... I was really looking at this to be able to play at low volumes (ie. headphones volume) and record direct to disk... any help appreciated.

9. sfletch

sfletch Member

I've tracked LOTS of guitars through the toneport...and I don't think any of the outboard options you're looking at will be a HUGE improvement. The toneport has TONS of options and lots of tweakability. What you might look into is a tube mic pre or tube d.i. box or even the radial "dragster" to kind of buffer your signal going into the toneport.

The other thing about recording direct is that - yeah, you lose some of the amp feel, but you make up for it in the flexibility you gain at mixdown of really discrete guitar tracks with no bleed or room sound, they're also great for stacking/layering guitar parts. Also mix a track or two (or 7!) of amplified guitar with a track or two (or 7!) of direct/modelled guitar, and you start to get some thick and interesting textures.

If you're just looking for ONE great gutar track, I would ALWAYS mic the amp...but I may be totally wrong.