Fender Super vs. Vibro Champ? (Vintage Silverface, not XD)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rotini, Feb 6, 2012.

1. rotini

rotini Member

I'm looking to buy a small tube amp for home/rehearsals/gigs. Just can't deal with lugging around a 2x12 cab and a separate head every week when I don't need the volume. So far I've narrowed it down to a Pro Junior and a Silverface Champ. I realize the two amps are completely different animals, and I'm leaning towards the Pro Junior for its lead/bite sound. However, there are a couple local deals going on, including a super champ as well as a vintage Bronco.

What's the difference between the vintage super and vibro champs (also known as the Bronco)? The champs seem to do cleans really well, but how well do they overdrive? I'm mainly afraid of sounding too ice-pickey as I can hit notes hard when playing leads.

2. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

The Super Champ or Pro junior would be on my radar.I've owned all of them and still have X2 Vibro-Champs and a Tweed Pro junior.
    If price is anywhere close get the Super Champ and next the Pro Jnr.YMMV

3. rotini

rotini Member

Thanks.
    So judging by your post, the Super Champ is ~ to the Vibro?

Seems like the champs typically go for ~100 more than the Pro Juniors. There's also a Super Champ that's advertising it needs new tubes. What's a good estimate for a solid replacement set of tubes?

4. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

We'll need some info here: What guitar? Pickups? Music? Pedals? etc? etc.?

I love the old small Fender stuff. Just last year I had a 70's Vibro Champ and a 62 Brownface Princeton that delivered great low volume cleans with magical trem. But watch out when you start pushing the volume. At least for me, I experienced FFO everytime. (Fender Fart-Out)

IMO, if you are playing at low volume and mic'ing the amp then VC. BUT, it you want to drive the amp then the PJ is the way to go...

NOTE: Of course with the PJ's you have to find a good one that does not hum and hiss.

5. rotini

rotini Member

Sure thing... I'm playing a Fender '62 Reissue (Hot Rod) with stock 57/62 pickups and 11's. Not a big pedal user but am currently waiting on a Trombetta mini-bone for some fuzz/overdrive sounds. So using an overdrive pedal would certainly be possible - already have a boost pedal.

For small gigs and rehearsals, amp will be mic'ed, possibly in a separate amp closet for practice.

Music would be blues/jazz/funk, and would have to compete with a piano player.

Is the VC basically the Champ but with vibrato?

6. rotini

rotini Member

Oops - just realized that the "Super Champ" refers to the XD, and that the Silverface champ is just the "Champ".