• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fender Superamp 5F4

Jamiecb

Hi everyone, I've been lurking and learning from this site for a while now. Thanks to everyone that has already helped me in some way or another.

OK, so my friend just "inherited" an original 1959 Fender Superamp 5F4 from his father (who used to have a music store.) We've googled it, and apparently it seems as though he's pretty lucky to have had such a treasure fall into his lap. It's just been sitting in storage for years. Sounds great, but the tweed is pretty worn. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this amp's worth. Any other info, tips etc. would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Lost_Cause

This amp is pretty valuable. Guitar Center has one for $6300. That is retail.

You cannot post pictures right from your computer. You need to load them onto a photo hosting site like photobucket and copy the address into the photo dialog box.

we will need to see pictures before being able to better determine value.

Jamiecb

Wow. Thank you for your response.

I hosted them on imageshack, and inserted them using the "insert image" button. I'm not sure what happened there. I will try again.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
Prices of vintage amps are heavily affected by originality and condition. Since so many are modded or beat up, only the cleanest and most original command the big bucks. Remember, they didn't put these things in cases like they did with guitars (at least not until the late 70's).

The speakers are not original, and it looks like the control panel has been re-labeled or even totally replaced. The tweed is in rough condition, and it's not clear what else may have been changed. All of these changes add up to significant devaluation.

Jamiecb

I would be happy to provide any information I can!
Understand, we are not trying to sell. It has sentimental value to him, and it just sort of happened out of nowhere. He needed an amp, and would have been lucky to afford a blues jr. Then he ended up with this thing, which I'm sure some people would love to have. I understand that others may know much more about old amps like this than he or I do, and we are just very curious about it. Anyone know some artists who have used it? Or anything in particular we should take care with to avoid destroying something this rare?

Jamiecb

How can you tell the speakers are not original? What is different about this control panel and the original? Thanks again!

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
That's not a super it's just in a super cab
Master volume....too many tubes....tube placement....

Not a super

This is a pro it would be like that with the panel off

Yours is also missing the recto tube and the power tubes would be far left
Also it's a 4 input amp stock with just a chrome chassis with writing.

Sorry dude that's Not a super anymore (if the chassis ever was)

zguitar71

Look up images on google and you can see the difference. The layout of the tubes appears to be very different. Yours has 4 preamp tubes not 3 and I do not see a rectifier tube either, it should be on the left of the power tubes and about the same size as they are. I can see the sockets for the tubes but do not see the one for the rectifier. Is it equiped with a solid state rectifier now? It looks like someone changed the amp quite a bit.

Lost_Cause

If the amp sounds great that is really all that matters especially if you are not trying to sell. Maybe you can take some pictures with the back panel that covers the chassis taken off so we can see inside of it. I know that looking at it I cannot tell what it is.

Lost_Cause

How can you tell the speakers are not original? What is different about this control panel and the original? Thanks again!
If you look at the pictures of an original they have bell covers and are blue Jensen speakers which have Alnico magnets. Those speakers are more modern. With ceramic magnets. They look kind of like OEM type Eminence speakers but could be any number of speakers. For certain not original.

big mike

Cathode biased
I don't think hey made dymo llabels back then either
2 peice chassis there see how it's screwed together?

Looks like a interesting home brewed amp loaded into an original 57 box

soldersucker

I'd love to find a cab like that ratty ass as is.My luck has it finding a 59 Super 5F4 cobbled into a head cab.It was better than free so i can;t complain.

restored

big mike

Cathode biased
Shoot that amp has reverb!

Wow. Please pull the back and get a pic, i'd love to see what's going on.
Master, dwell and mix for the verb, full range EQ, Mini toggle...that's someone's custom build.

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member
The script on the control panel might be a way to identify the chassis. I agree that it's a modern, maybe post '75 Peavey? Not sure, but definitely not a 5F4 Tweed Super.

Trending Topics