Fender Supersonic 22 - Follow Up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LostInMs, Jan 15, 2011.

1. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

What are the impedance taps on this amp? 4 & 8 Ohms? Is there a 16 OHM tap? I've seen pics of the rear, I don't see an impedance switch, is there one?

2. Myxolidian

Myxolidian Member

I believe you're referring of the original 60 with the modern looking supersonic logo script? I'm talking about the "new" 60 that came out the same time as the 22 and has the same cursive script logo.

There's 1 youtube vid demoing the "new" 60 combo (same specs as head) and it sounds killer. I'm expecting a bit more oomph in the lows from the 6L6 but overall I believe it'll sound very similar to the 22. I'll use the fx loop volume trick that I do on my Splawn Quick Rod to tame the volume if I have to. This will be a pedal platform first and foremost so I want the headroom. The killer OD is just an added benefit.

Yeah, not sure about all that. Demos on the 'net don't support that stance and I certainly don't hear anything thin or buzzy playing it. Different strokes and all that I guess.

3. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

I've tried the EP and RC in front of mine...both great- the EP gives a bit more hair and a wider/bassier spectrum...the RC is cleaner and MUCH more transparent-

the RC will do the EP but the EP will not do the RC

if your focus is Fender tone, RC all the way...if your focus is more on the Burn, the EP really beefs it up nicely

4. CB3874

CB3874 Member

I bought my Supersonic recently and was experiencing some excessive white noise even with nothing plug in. I took it to a repair guy and he fixed the reverb which helped remove some of the noise. He also said the remaining white noise is the result of how the amp was built. He couldn't work on it any further because of the limited space on the circuit board.

Are there any known mods out there that address this?

5. CB3874

CB3874 Member

6. amorica

amorica Member

I just recently picked up a SS22 about a month ago from Musicians Friend. It was what they call " condition 4 " which means it didn't work. It did power up , but would not switch channels and was making lots of noise. The reason I went for it was that they were selling the amp for $400 free shipping and I have a lot of confidence in my Amp repair / Luthier. I knew this amp was the one. 2 resisters were bad, one the reverb springs was broken, it didn't come with the cable for the channel switcher and it needed proper bias job which is always par for the corse. So another $125 and a total price of $525 later the amp is amazing!!! I've had original 60's fenders, including a Deluxe reverb, Vox's, Marshalls, Dr Z , Ampegs , other boutiques and lots I've forgotten about. This is the most versatile amp made. The clean is total Fender and the Gain channel has a very EL84 almost vox type tone but is tighter sounding. It has its own sound. I've never heard a Fender drive so smooth. No fizzing or buzzing like the Hot rods and the other Fenders with drive channels. My tech has been working on amps for 30 years Is authorized in Fender repair. Fenders are his specialty to say the least . In his opinion it's one of the best sounding amps hes heard in years. I've never heard him say that after all these years. I even love the speaker they picked for once. And it's not even broken in.

7. CB3874

CB3874 Member

I just picked up my amp from the service center and there is a considerable drop in the noise. The repair guy just applied the new Fender tech note & fix regarding the reverb and decrease the bias level. He said the amp was running too hot and noticed the noise dropping as he was adjusting the bias level. There is still a little noise but not as much as before.

8. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

Some encouraging posts on this amp... I tried one at a music store and it sounded great -- didn't have any of the noise or footswitch pop issues I've heard expressed by many others. I almost bought, but was dissuaded by these posts.

Now it's back on my short list for 1x12 combo.

9. MickeyJi

MickeyJi Member

I was GASsing for this amp for quite a while, but everytime I got to try one out, I was turned off by the nasty white noise. It's a fantastic amp otherwise, I found the clean channel to be pure vintage blackface Fender and the *fat* switch makes it even better. The gain channel has a lot of authority (for lack of a better word...) - it's not half-assed like on the Hot Rod.

So, Fender, get your act together and get rid of the nasty hiss!

(I've also had two Deluxe VM's btw. That amp suffers from the same problem: great amp with excellent clean AND drive channels, but unfortunately noisy as hell...)

:mob

10. TexMax

TexMax Member

I have been playing large tube amps (Twins, SR's, various 100 watt Marshalls, Rectos) in bands for 25 yrs, so I don't exactly know what the bedroom wankers consider to be excessive white noise. Tube amps, particularly some Fenders, are noisy/hissy to a certain extent, especially when cranked up. Having said all that, I picked up a Supersonic 22 about a month ago and thought the reverb was a little excessively noisy. Nothing you would hear in a band situation, but definitely a little annoying at home. Anything above 11:00 was pretty noticeable, and I do like a pretty wet reverb sound so I was a little bit peeved. So I call Fender and they said yes, there is a service tech note, and I took it in to an authorized repair shop. I get it back a couple of days later and it is now dead quiet. I mean silent.

This is one really, really fantastic sounding amp - before and after the servicing - and I thought I would let eveyone know about my hiss/noise experience with it. I just can't say enough about how great this little guy sounds - I love this amp. I would imagine going forward that these amps will be shipping noise-free, but even if you do get a hold of an early noisy one like I did, it is fix-able.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  11. mikiedreb

mikiedreb Member

....excellent!!!....a non "bedroom wanker" pleased with his fresh-out-of-the-repair-shop...month old Supersonic 22.......

12. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

good news- I'm gonna send mine in soon as well...does the tech note fix the hiss, loud switching "pop", or both?

13. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Thanks for putting this amp on my radar. Like the use of a plain '09 American Standard with this amp demo too.

14. adlibmusic

adlibmusic Member

I had one for two days. The hiss was unacceptable. Many of the forums I read were saying the Fender tech note didn't really solve the problem. Any of you guys have better luck?
    I think this is one of the best sounding amps Fender has put out recently. I did have the first version 60 watt Supersonic and it's not even in the same league with the SS22. I will get another SS22 if they can solve the hiss issue.
    Just my $.25 (adjusted for inflation)

15. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

In what way was the first version SS 60 watt not in the "same league" as the SS22? Not trying to bait you.....just curious. I have a v1 SS60, but am seriously thinking about getting a 22 as well.

16. TexMax

TexMax Member

I came very very close to buying a V1 Supersonic 60 a couple of times. I just thought that in the end, unless I really cranked it up to full on stage level volume, the vibrolux channel was just too bright and lacked bass. And I wasn't about to go chasing the dragon - meaning that I wasn't going to spend a lot of time on tubes, speaker swaps, attenuators, etc, etc. The 22 watter is just right - very very sweet sounding on the Deluxe channel even at fairly low volume, and appropriately fat on the, well, the fat channel. And for my current band, it has plenty of power and punch to get over the drummer - but we are not terribly loud, as it is acoustic guitar/singer, guitar, bass and drums.

17. adlibmusic

adlibmusic Member

To my old dead ears, the SS22 clean is golden. My fender guitars never sounded so good (to me) as when played thru the SS22. My SS60 was OK on the clean side, but didn't have the sparkle that the SS22 has. The SS60 gain side was always too fizzy no matter now I set it. I did the tube swap and the speaker swap, but was never really satisfied with that amp.

All of my current amps are D-clones and one TW-clone. They sound pretty darn good, but I really thought the SS22 added something that I can't quite get with these other amps.

When I had the SS22, I measured the hiss in a quiet studio at 59dB at one foot. When mic'd, it goes right into the PA.

But I gotta have another one.........:horse

18. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

Your experience sounds much like mine (and many others I think). I've done NOS tube changes and put in a Jensen Jet Tornado, re-biased, etc....but have still never been totally sold on the SS60.

So...the SS22 burn channel is not as fizzy?

19. adlibmusic

adlibmusic Member

I did not think it was fizzy at all, expecially when compared to the SS60. The SS22 OD channel was very configurable getting some really nice SRV crunch to some really screaming OD. Not a metal OD, but nice usable sustaining OD.
    IMHO

20. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

I just got my Supersonic 22 1x12 combo today. Got it used in excellent condition. The cleans are awesome, and the burn channel is Fendery nastiness. I got pretty good tones ranging from the Stones Brown Sugar, to Malcolm's Young's H2H rhythm sound, to STP Meatplow / Interstate Lovesong, and Aerosmith's Pump album (Elevator and Young Lust tones). The amp doesn't hiss, no noise, and the gain is not fizzy. The gain is gritty and nasty (using the Gain 1 knob) and thickens up using the Gain 2 knob. I didn't push the gain to it's maximum, so I'm not sure if it will reach heavy hard rock territory. But the cleans and low to mid gain classic rock tones are great. I was playing a Hamer Studio with PAFs and a PRS Mira with spit humbuckers and the tone was just killer. It's got a lot of headroom for 22 watts and a lot of bite. The reverb is really over the top -- I'll be using that sparingly.