• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fender Supersonic 60 combo thoughts?

Just wanted to see what you guys think about this amp.
What's the general consensus on sound?

The one I'm looking at is unique because the guy does woodwork for a living and built a finger jointed solid pine cabinet to Fender specs and covered it with Seafoam Green tolex. Also has a 70th anniversary G12H30 instead of the stock speaker.

Might trade a Fender Blacktop Strat, Xotic BB pre, and $160 for it. Seem like a fair trade?

I'm just a bit concerned because I've read a lot of negative opinions of the amp and I sometimes find myself easily swayed when reading forums.

Thanks for any feedback!

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
In my own personal experience I never grew to like the distorted channel sound, and the build quality was very bad (cold solder joints and wires coming loose from PCBs).

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I had one. Great sounding clean channel especially if you turned it up really loud. Distortion was okay. The stock speaker is a V30, so the speaker that's in it is kind of a lateral move. Unless there's something special about it, it's also a 30 watt speaker in a 60 watt amp which sounds like a pretty bad plan.

I like the other two models a little better, but it's a decent amp.

Gemini2

I had one. Great sounding clean channel especially if you turned it up really loud. Distortion was okay. The stock speaker is a V30, so the speaker that's in it is kind of a lateral move. Unless there's something special about it, it's also a 30 watt speaker in a 60 watt amp which sounds like a pretty bad plan.

I like the other two models a little better, but it's a decent amp.
V30 is 65 watts.

OP, it's a very loud amp. IMHO, if you're going to push the clean channel you will need an attenuator. Also, if you like the sound of Fender amps in general this amp might work for you. If you run both channels with the burn channel slightly louder for leads with just the minimal gain you can get by with it sounds pretty good.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
If you run both channels with the burn channel slightly louder for leads with just the minimal gain you can get by with it sounds pretty good.
Agree with these statements.

It's a good amp overall. I liked the one I had, it was just a tiny bit too loud for a couple of the places we played. I don't know if the trade is "fair" since it's not the original cab, but if it's something you like then it'll be fair to you.

Is it a newer model with the script logo or an older one with the block style letters?

Agree with these statements.

It's a good amp overall. I liked the one I had, it was just a tiny bit too loud for a couple of the places we played. I don't know if the trade is "fair" since it's not the original cab, but if it's something you like then it'll be fair to you.

Is it a newer model with the script logo or an older one with the block style letters?
It's the block letters one.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
V30 is 65 watts.

OP, it's a very loud amp. IMHO, if you're going to push the clean channel you will need an attenuator. Also, if you like the sound of Fender amps in general this amp might work for you. If you run both channels with the burn channel slightly louder for leads with just the minimal gain you can get by with it sounds pretty good.
From the OP.
"Also has a 70th anniversary G12H30 instead of the stock speaker."

TaDaMz

I had one.

Big disappointment IMO. Not a bad amp, but not nearly as good as I was hoping. The clean channels are ok. The dirt channel is less than ok. Mine had some annoying cab rattle, and issues with the reverb too. In the same price/value range, you are much better off with a SF Twin and a good OD.

I see Supersonic 60s around here on the local CL quite often. Usually priced around $600-$700, and they take forever to sell. Id avoid it and hold out for something better.

FWIW, I have a redplate blackverb currently that I love. The SS was just going to be an extra amp for fun but it seems these amps are widely not liked among players on multiple forums.

vashuba

Silver Supporting Member
Aren't all the newer ones 22s and not 60s?
No, the newer ones come in 22w Head or Combo, 60w head or combo, 100w head or combo.

I like these amps. that said, i dont own many and dont play all the custom botik amps every else plays.

SuperReverb2

Personally I feel the old Prosonic is ten times the amp the Supersonic is. Tried every Supersonic that's come out hoping to bond with one of them, and can't. Thought the original ones sounded much better with a speaker swap to the Eminence Red, White, Blues and TAD 6L6WGC-STR's, but the newer ones seem very non musical to my ears no matter what. Sorry. NOT a fan of these amps.

:)

MickeyJi

I recently bought an older block-logo Supersonic 60 for a really good price. I like it so far, there's a bunch of good tones and useful possibilities in that amp. You can use the lead channel as an additional cleanish mode - and I personally also really like the compressed highgain tone with the second gain stage turned all the way up. Using the patched effects loop as an adjustable volume boost is a useful option too.

What I don't like is the volume drop and totally different eq between the two modes in the clean channel. Also, the amp I got was a bit noisy, but I retubed all the preamp tubes (it still had the originals) and it's pretty quiet now. Surprisingly - eventhough this amp can get really LOUD - it sounds good at bedroom levels too, IMO.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
I liked the 60w and the 20w. The 60w is LOUD and heavy. Just like a good Fender amp should be :aok

hurtwoodec

Silver Supporting Member
I recently played through a 60 at a local store. I played it on 3-4 occasions with a variety of Les Pauls I was interested in. Now my own amps are a Carol Ann OD-2 and a hand built Dumble clone so im squarely into boutique land as far as amps go. The point of this is that the Fender Supersonic 60 into the stock 2x12 really surprised me. I thought it sounded great with a little tweaking. The two gain controls on the od channel in bassman mode was really cool and useable and the vibro cleans were good.

I found myself leaving it in Bassman mode most of the time cause I liked the drive and found some pretty "D" style sounds. All in all I liked it but only spent a cumulative 2-3 hours with it.

My 2cents!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom