Fender Supersonic or Budda Superdrive 18?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jimmyohio75, Oct 14, 2008.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

OK< here's the scenario. I just bought a Fender Supersonic 1x12 combo last week. I really like it but it may just have too much power for the gigs our band does. We are mic'd most of the time and 60 watts is friggin loud!!

Since I bought the amp at GC I have 30 days to decide whether to keep it or take it back for something else. I have been interested in the Budda SD 18 for a while. I have only played one once but I recall it being damn sweet. I figure with only 18 watts it will help with the power tube saturation I need at smaller gigs.
    Questions:

1) How are the cleans on the Budda?
    2) Much clean headroom?
    3) I used to own an Orange Tiny Terror and there was virtually no clean headroom. Is the Budda better?
    4)Is the clean channel warm and "spongy"(my supersonic is way too bright and thin on the clean channel)
    5) Can the Budda hang with a loud drummer in an unmic'd situation at a small/medium sized club?

Listen to my band and tell me if the Budda can pull off this type of crunchy dirt!

www.myspace.com/hawkinshill

2. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

Budda SD18 player here. The Budda is definatey capable of that amount of gain. The clean channel lacks some clean head room that you might miss, but I like my cleans full and on the edge of break up.

The budda does a really nice voxy style clean on channel 1 and a marshall crunch on channel 2. It doesnt do fender tones too well in my opinion.

3. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I don't mind vox style cleans as long as they don't break up too early. The Rocker simply had horrible cleans IMO, not necessarily an issues of early breakup. I would be OK with vox style cleans.

4. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

Jimmy, you must be using the Vibrolux clean channel. The Bassman clean channel is more like the Budda's. However, the Budda's OD crushes the Supersonic to my ears.

5. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

The Budda does better cleans and dirty tones than the SuperSonic if you ask me. But I ultimately chose an Orange Rockerverb 50 and for me, it sounds better than all of these amps...I also sold my Shiva.

6. datriani

datriani Member

Budda SD 18 user here. I've gone through alot of amps over the years and the Budda definitely does well for me. Not alot of headroom on the clean channel but it also depends on the pickups you're using. Because that amps is run very hot, it's very sensitive, pickups play a huge factor in the equation. When I flip over to the clean channel, I'll usually throw the pickup selector to position 4 to help clean it up a bit. You could always go with the SD30 which I think has a bit more headroom. I wished that budda just made the clean volume and the gain and master volume exclusive and independant from one another.

7. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

ask jeff bober and he will give instrustions for any tech that can install relay switches to do just that. a second master on the back.

8. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I don't need a ton of clean headroom. Most of our gigs are mic'd. I am looking for cleans similar to a Fender Deluxe reverb, kinda spongy and warm. Does a Budda have this?