Fender Supersonic users....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kyle Ashley, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

I'm thinking about grabbing one of these combos...A couple of questions to the expert users here:

how's the fx loop?
    have you gigged them extensively enough to know they're reliable under pressure?

I've read many previous threads....opinions seem to swing widely btn love/hate.

Thanks!!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  2. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I love mine. I play Skynryrd to Metallica no problem. The cleans are good but the Bassman channel gets a nice breakup when you crank it; these are loud amps! Way better than the POS Crates I'm returning on Saturday.

3. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

I gig with one a lot. Including very warm outdoor gigs. No problems at all. The loop works great. Go for it. You won't be sorry.

4. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I liked mine and thought it was a great sounding amp. I gigged with it a few times and had no problems with it.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

FWIW- The POS V32 I have sounds as nice(in its own way) to my ears Supersonic on both the clean and dirty channels. Obviously not as well built but for the money I wouldnt expect it to be.

OP-The FX loop works well on my with both send and return volumes. It seems pretty transparent to my ears. Havent gigged with it so I can answer that question.

Mine came thru biased very cold so I'd recommend checking that. As with most amps it will benefit from tube upgrades. Bob

6. Kyle Ashley

Thanks for the replies...I'll check one out on Monday.

7. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I was referring to the V18 and V33 that I'm returning!

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yeah,havent heard one of that series. Seems they really fudged up a good amp. Bob

9. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

highly recommend the SS. no problems here in two years. as noted, make sure you have good tubes and bias around 32 and it will sound great.

10. Kyle Ashley

I wonder if an EVM12L will fit in place of the V30 without too much mangling? Anyone ever try that in the SS?

11. Ascension

Ascension Member

I had a SS head for a while and had no problems at all. On the effects loop if you jump it and use the level controlls right it makes for a nice footswitchable lead boost!!!
    I also own several Prosonics and vastly prefer those to the newer SS but the SS is a solid workhorse rig. It was a real step up from my TSL Marshall head in tone that is for SURE!

12. Kyle Ashley

Regarding stock tubes...they appear to be some type of GT 6L6. I may switch out depending on how it sounds...and also put a couple of Mullard 12ax7s in some spots....

If I go ahead and buy this amp, I'll want to set the bias...is the trim pot inside the chassis?

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yes the trim pot is inside . The GT tubes are Sovtek 5881/6L6GC's-indestructable but not very toneful most say.Bob

14. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

Yep, stock GT 6L6's. The trim pot is inside. The Mullards should sound great. Experiment!

15. Kyle Ashley

Should I be expecting any extras from my local GC? I hope I get a box, but if not...does the amp at least come with the footswitch and possibly a vinyl cover?

16. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

Yes, footswitch and cover. I bought mine from GC as well.

17. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

I've been trying for some time to find an amp that works well in the home at low to medium volumes without much success. The SCXD is good for the money, but it's really just O.K. The other amps I own are a DRRI which needs to really be driven to sound best and is too bright and a Epi Vjr, which is actually the one I use the most, but it is what it is.

I want an amp with a warm/bluesy sound, but still nicely detailed. I don't need massive distortion, but like something with a really creamy smooth overdrive that will achieve overdrive at home levels. Master volume and gain controls are a must. I want a nice effects loop, preferably one that is adjustable and tone controls that are WYSIWYG. I don't like the ones that are really interactive and hard to dial in. As a matter of fact, no tone controls at all would be fine by me if the amp sounds good. And I want something with at least a good 12" speaker.

I'm primarily a rhythm player with just a few riffs thrown in as necessary. So an amp that sounds killer overdriven for ripping leads is not what I'm after. Something that will let the individual notes ring through on the chorded stuff is. I've been through quite a few Fender amp's and still haven't found one I'm totally satisfied with so maybe the Fender sound isn't what I'm after. The little Blues Jr. Tweed NOS I returned is probably the one I liked best. Maybe they're too clean for my taste?

Anyhow, does such an amp exist? Any of you home players find something like this that your really happy with?

18. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Mine came with a footswitch. For 599$ "new-floor model" I wasnt expecting much else! Bob

19. shakerAU

shakerAU Member

A great Amp, very loud though.
    Mine came with footswitch and cover as standard.

20. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I really wish They'd make a 6V6 version at 30watts.