Fender Supersonic?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kinkirsi, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Just wondering the skinny on the Supersonic from those who have heard one. Trash or stash? Does any one have one on the floor in the Philly area? Thanks!:cool: :JAM :cool:

2. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Come on now, any one have a tone report? The things I have heard have varied wildly. Anyone?

3. bug0711

bug0711 Supporting Member

Bump for the curious ... :AOK

4. ABKB

ABKB Member

I know they were at Namm, and I know they are on the Fender website, but I dont think they have actually been released to the public as yet. I have been gassing for one of these things, so if I am wrong, please let me know. And yes, tone reports would be most helpful if possible.

5. Dizzie

Dizzie Member

oh another √úberschall !!! :) Things could get confusing for the Germans....

6. thintele

thintele Member

I believe they should be in stores early-mid February...if the dealer got their order in relatively early.

7. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

The major Store here in DC area has one already. I got to play through it yesterday.

It was the Head Version, I played it through a Marshall 2X12 closed back cab.

I was expecting to be turned off by it, since I am not a big fan of most channel switchers.

I was impressed.

Channel One is your "clean", but has two separate "voicings"... it can sound either like a Vibrolux or a BlackFace Bassman. The Vl voice is light, clean and somewhat "jangly" but fairly accurate. The Bm voice is pure 66 bassman clean... Thick, dripping with depth, scooped mids blackface syrup. Very nice indeed.

Channel two is high gain, but has two separate gain controls (pre and post tone stack perhaps??) and can get everything from just a bit dirty to super saturated. Very nice.

No rattles, no quirks, no pops or hiss, and responsive controls.

The footswitch has 3 buttons... turn channel 2 on or off; switch between the two voicings on channel 1; and turn the effects loop on or off. Lots of great flexible ways to run the channels with all the footswitchable options.

I was prepared to dislike it, I didn't. Also... no reverb on the head. I think the combos will have it. it was priced at $949.

8. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

That my friends seals the deal...

9. Upgrade

Upgrade Member

Tried it at NAMM and really liked it- I would call it a great indie rock amp.

10. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

The music shop I work at is supposed to be getting 2 in within the next two weeks....everyone is pretty excited. As soon as I try one, I will tell people what I think....Anyone else spent time looking at the new Frontline? I think I've read through the Supersonic page about 15 times.....

11. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

We're supposed to getting some 1 x 12's and the head and 2 x 12 cabinets as well. SERIOUS GAS for this amp for some reason. I dearly love my Tweed Twin, but this amp just might be a VERY versatile blues/rock "package" that would fit nicely opposite my Fuchs mod when it returns.

Chuck

12. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Does anyone know who will have them first in the philly area?

13. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

I heard a demo at the Fender booth at NAMM. Non gain channel seemed extremely bright and sounded so so. I didn't hear the gain side but was told it was identical to the Prosonic which I had at one time and never cared for.

The amp does look cool though!

14. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I also heard a demo at NAMM and I was very impressed. It's a very versatile amp, with 2 choices of classic Fender spanky clean or Bassman growl, and the gain channel, which is very flexible. There are a lot of tones to be had in one amp for a reasonable price.

15. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

So whats the verdict?

16. 6789

6789 Member

I just took a look at the fender website and I think it's too bad fender put such an ugly logo on it rather than the vintage blackface script type for the word supersonic.

17. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

Only true Fender-a-holics would think an amp with two clean voices was something special. And I salute you! Now if the worthless pile of crap Guitar Centers in my area would only get one in so I could try it out .... where are they when you NEED them? :confused:

18. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

I ran a prs cu22, a tele, and a strat through one for a few days into a bogner os 2x12 with v30's. I thought the vibroluxe mode was WAY bright. Even with the treble turned all the way down it was bright and thin. The bassman side was better but tubby and a bit harsh. I liked the burn channel with the gain set low better than high gain tones but still found the tone pretty uninspiring. Even made a nice tele sound muddy. I think this amp would suit rootsy/blues players much better than it suited me but even with those applications I'd look elsewhere. The other guitar player plugged into it at rehearsal the other day and heard the same things I did.

19. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Could it be the issue of the v-30's not being broken in yet or the ****** groove tubes that Fender ships with? Stop, your breaking my heart, I wanted to love that amp,any good reviews?