Fender Supersonic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by veldt666, Mar 24, 2006.

1. veldt666

veldt666 Member

Anyone tried these yet??

I'm not even sure if they are available yet in the UK?

2. mbratch

mbratch Member

Do a forum search. There were just recently a couple of elaborate threads on this amp.

3. Electric I

Electric I Member

4. opdev

opdev Member

Plyed the head yersterday.

I give it a B+ for tone and an A- for versitility

5. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I'm NOT a big fan of the 1 x 12 combo, but the head coupled with the right speaker(s) and cabinet should be capable of producing some decent tones. Not an amp worth 1K IMHO though.

6. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

I have a SS combo...I play a Firebird thru it for Blues...FANTASTIC!!..If the head/cab sounds half as good as the combo does, youre in for a real treat!!..Matter of fact, Im gonna buy a Fender Super-Sonic 2x12 extension cab and use it with the combo and see what it sounds like...Bloozman

7. pjwill

pjwill Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    I picked up a Blonde 1X12 combo last week. The Good: The Bassman mode on the clean side has potential. The Burn channel sounds very good producing low to mid gain tones with Gain 1 set low and Gain 2 up around 3 quarters, and it looks attracive, inspite of the modern script badge.

The Bad: Noisy as hell. Mine hissed like a cat and had lots of little fizzes and pops. The Vibrolux mode on the clean side is useless. Extremely thin. Nice high end spakle but absolutely NO low end. Don't turn up Gain 1 on the burn side...Buzz city...

I bought it regardless of it's short comings because I heard potential in the Bassman and low to mid-gain sounds. I am glad I did.

I swapped out the piss-poor groove tube 12AX7s in V1, V2, and V3 with JJ's and a EH I had lying around and the noise is significantly less. I can live with it. This also really helped smooth out the highs on the Clean and "Burn" side while also adding more depth and texture to the tones...particularly the Burn side. I have an Eminence RWBs on the way to swap out in place of the Celestion V30 which I think is a bit "crisp" for the amp....should help even more. I am looking into a new matched pair of 6L6s and I should be set.

Even with its shortcomings, this is the best new Fender amp I have tried in years. If you want a nice Fendery Clean (Bassman side only) and a fantastic low to mid gain Bluesy, Rootsy drive channel....I recommend it. Tube swap is a must. I will report on the speaker swap soon.

8. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Mins is as quiet as a churchmouse..maybe yours has a problem?? Bloozman

9. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I've played through three different combos now and they were all quite noisy. I'm sure there are some "quiet" ones one there (and your's seems to be one) but there have been MANY more posted reports about noisy ones than quiet ones.

10. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Sounds like you have to find a quiet one then...maybe I got lucky, or you got unlucky 3 times

11. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

OOOOHHH I forgot...youre the biased guy who wont say anything good about the SS...Now I remember...never mind then

12. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

pjwill:

The Eminence Red White and Blues should arrive at your end some time next week. Please let me know how it sounds once you get it installed. Our in store tests showed that the SS combos we had sounded MUCH better when tested with the Tonespotters, RWB's, or the Eminence Commonwealth. The RWB's sounded VERY GOOD as a replacement speaker in the combo. As we discussed in our e-mails, the TAD 6L6WGC-STR tubes really warm the amp up and make it much more usable (overall) in comparison to the stock tubes. Another tube you might want to look at is the JAN Phillips 6L6WGB and they are available from Mike at KCS NOS Tubes for $8.00 a matched pair.

Good luck with the amp.

13. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Bloozman:

You know absolutely nothing about me other than the fact that we disagree on the SS combo. In that light, I would appreciate it if you keep your childish little comments to yourself in the future.

Thanks in advance

14. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:Spank

15. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Fellas - NOTE:

USER AGREEMENT
    By using The Gear Page, you agree to the following:

Members have posting privileges, not a entitlement. Members of the Gear Page must act in a common sense civil manner towards members, moderators and administrators of the site. Any member can have their posting privilege suspended or removed. Depending on the nature of the violation, the administrators of this site at their sole discretion may suspend or terminate a member’s account.

Posting privileges will be suspended or removed completely if a moderator or administrators determines that your post:
    • Contains content that harasses, belittles, humiliates, threatens or causes embarrassment to a fellow member; vulgar, obscene or indecent language or images; bigoted, hateful or racially/sexually offensive statements; has content that advocates illegal activity or discusses illegal activities with the intent to commit them; unauthorized copyrighted material; language that defames, abuses or threatens others; advertising or any form of commercial solicitation (outside of the Dealer Emporium); and/or material that does not pertain to the room's given topic