Fender Supersonic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by skydawg, Feb 25, 2009.

1. skydawg

skydawg Member

Any fans?I've got the combo that i use around the house,not a bad amp really.I don't hear too much buzz about it anymore.You think fender is going to keep making them?

2. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I gigged with a Supersonic for a little over 4 months. I liked it a lot. My only issue was trying to achieve a nice balance between the two clean tones. The Vibrolux side was a bit too bright and the Bassman side a bit too dull, lacking the Fender sparkle. I actually really liked the gain channel. In fact our band recorded our entire CD with it. Here's how it sounded in the studio:
    www.myspace.com/hawkinshill

I have since moved on to a '59 Bassman LTD. With the ability to jumper the channels I now have the perfect blend of "bright" and "normal" when playing clean. For dirt I use a Crunch Box. All in all this rig works great when live. The only issue is at gigs where I am mic'd. It is difficult to get the 50 watts to reach the sweet spot. I am anxiously awaiting the new Egnater Rebel 30 in hopes that it will become my new gigging amp at clubs that insist on mic'ing me. I will continue to use the Bassman for larger gigs. I love that amp!!

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I dug mine. I kind of wish I kept it! Might want to try a nice NOS 12AU7 in the V2. They are cheap enough. It will reduce the volume of the clean channels so they arent super loud by 1 on the knob. Bob

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I thought the build quality was fine. What did you find built poorly? Im not sure what you meant by this either? -"uses a tone of tubes" Bob

5. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

I love mine. The bassmasn channel and the overdrives can create many tones!

6. skydawg

skydawg Member

personally i find it the overdrive channel sounds better with humbuckers,but for cleans single coil's and hums sound equally good.this amp has gotten a bit of a bad rap but with a little tweaking i think it's a half way decent amp.:dunno

7. ungarn

ungarn Member

Just got a used one...really lots of fun to play...

I REALLY like the Vibrolux clean paired with my Small Stone phaser, just by itself not so much.

The Bassman clean is a great tone, for a 1x12 it sounds convincing, but of course not the same as a real 4x10 Bassman amp. This channel takes dirt pedals pretty well too.

The Burn channel has a really good, dirty, tone. It is not exactly a broken up TWEED tone, and not exactly the bark of a MARSHALL (like a Rivera or other combo would provide)...somewhere in between.

Yes, there is a volume difference when switching between the Vibrolux and Bassman...not a huge issue, but annoys the hell out of some.

The reverb is decent/good...not the best Fender has offered but still nice.

The switchable effects loop is an AWESOME feature. If you install a jumper (patch cord) and turn up the send and return levels it functions as a handy volume/clean boost. If you reduce the levels it has a similar effect as an attenuator...good tones at less volume. That lone Vintage 30 speaker can get plenty LOUD!

8. blueslover

blueslover Member

This claim is very untrue. It is a "pro-tube" series amp. It's built with the same specs as the vintage reissues...meaning the tubes are chassis mounted. A very reliable design. And the cabinet is pine. These amps are built like tanks.

I changed my pre-amp tubes to rca and tung sols, and my power tubes to GE NOS replicas (the groove tubes) and it gets cleans like a twin and takes pedals better. I get seriously sick cleans out of this amp...