Fender Tele Advise

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shuffle, Mar 22, 2006.

1. shuffle

shuffle Member

Ok - Im after a new guitar, i want a fender tele, im pretty stuck on them so i'd love if someone could point me in the direction of what they think to be the best models around right now.

Im not to fussed if i get a RI, american, mexican what ever, Im after what everyone thinks is the BEST i can get for AUS$2000

Any suggestions and preferences?

Thanks

2. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

For 1400+ US$ , a reeeal nice one . 1000-1200 for the guitar and 200- 400 worth of "trick-out" money , or an awesome used one . First pick the neck radius you prefer and then go from there .

3. shuffle

shuffle Member

Not really fussed, i'll play different ones as long as they feels right when i try it out.

Are the '52 and '62 RIs any good?

4. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

I have a 2005 52' American Reissue and I love it. I had a Nocaster on trail first and was prepared to buy it but the neck just did not seem as balanced as the 52' neck. I bought the 52' and switched out the pickups for some Stephens Design pickups and it made a huge difference for the better. I especially love the Stephens Design Supercaster neck pickup. It really gives the neck position a versatile solo tone. I have a Don Mare Roy Buchanan pup that I'm going to try in the bridge. I am really looking forward to trying out Don Mare's Roy wind. For a little extra money you can upgrade an American reissue Tele with some good hand crafted pickups and turn you Tele into an absolute tone monster.

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I have been GASsing for a blackguard Tele a long time, and have checked out and examined most of Fenders current offerings. The '52 RI has been on my want list for quite some time now as have been the Nocasters.. My budget is kind of low now so I bought a MIM 50's Esquire for about 500 € used and the guitar already had a Fralin pickup in it. I'm upgrading it to be a Tele and ordered the rest of the electronics, a new pickguard and compensated brass saddles from Acmeguitarworks. Those installed plus a setup and I guess I have about 700-800 €:s on the guitar. The guitar is great, has great resonance and is light weight, a real find for sure.

Anyway, when I get the money I'll buy a "serious Tele".. The AV52RI seems nice, but the finish is quite thick and some of tend to be a bit orange. The Nocasters look really good, but are quite pricey.

Recently I have stepped out from the Fender camp a bit and checked out other possibilities, namely Nash and GVCG. A Nash Tele, which is reliced and very thin nitro is something like 1400-1500 $, but really hard to get.. GVCG's are hard to get and over 4k $. But I must say those two really look the part and seem super cool & good..

As stated earlier you really should find out what radius & neck is for you. I like small radius and big necks, vintage style, but that's not for everyone.

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

I'd find a used '52 or '62RI.

Or you could order a CIJ version new from Ishibashi for less.

7. shuffle

shuffle Member

Ok, i tried an American Standard yeterday, bloody beautiful! Its a heavey guitar though with its ash body (store guy said it was ash - is it really? Webby says Poplar).

Are the Highway1's even worth considering?

Are the 52RI's just as heavey as they American standards?

Would you choose a 52RI over a standard?

What are the CIJ versions from ishibashi?

Cheers

8. Unburst

Unburst Member

Yes they are, if you're not particular about finish.
    They have flatter radius necks and bigger frets than vintage spec.
    Probably not, they should be around 7 1/2-8 1/2lb mark.

I would because I like vintage spec (7 1/2" radius and low frets) plus the one I had was great.

Ishibashi is a dealer for Fender Japan.
    CIJ are Fenders made in Japan for the Japanese market.
    They have great quality control and, electronics aside, are very well made.
    Some even come with US made pups.
    Ishibashi will export anywhere in the world.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

9. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Just bought a MIM Tele myself. These things are well built. I dont care what anyone says. Plays great right off the shelf...

Dickie

10. warren0728

warren0728 Member

i have to agree...i played a bunch of teles when buying mine and there was one mim tele that just felt right for me....play a bunch and get the one that's right for you.