fender tele bridge pickups: OV vs nocaster?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dazco, Jan 23, 2015.

1. dazco

dazco Member

I have a fender nocaster bridge pickup but never heard a OV. How do they differ?

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I've had both. The OV is adequate, it'll give you an honest Tele tone but nothing too exciting. A nice, fat tone but it left me wanting more.

The Nocaster is nicer but there's a little harshness to it. I was able to dial most of that out but didn't like that I had to deal with it in a pickup that was Fenders best at the time.

I have pickups from Chris Klein and Don Mare that sound better and they really aren't that expensive in comparison.

If I had to choose between the OV and a Nocaster, I'd take the Nocaster.

The OV was in an alder/maple Tele and the Nocaster was ash/maple. The guy who ended up with the alder/maple loved the guitar. I loved it too, until I started using the Mare & Klein pickups.

The Fenders are very good but you can do better. The nice thing is we all have so many choices today.

3. dazco

dazco Member

Problem is, i have a return for a certain online store so i have store credit and all they have is fender. I know exactly what you mean tho about the nocaster having a bit of harshness. It's in the highs, mainly the E and B strings, and i am able to dial it out mostly.