Fender Tele Deluxe RI mods

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by winterheadphone, Feb 25, 2009.

1. winterheadphone

winterheadphone Member

I'm interested in doing everything I can to make my guitar play and sound as good as possible.

I'm thinking of re-wiring the guitar, changing the nut, tuners, pickups(maybe) and anything else that might help.

Can anyone help me with specific things(pickups, wires, nuts....)that might help with making this guitar stay in tune better and perform better sonically?

2. In Tune

In Tune Member

Not sure what a Tele Deluxe RI is............:huh:huh:huh

3. winterheadphone

winterheadphone Member

Sorry

it's a re-issue of the 72 deluxe

4. In Tune

In Tune Member

Whats the Party Budget on Dis????:BluesBros

5. jcbranam

jcbranam Supporting Member

Yeah a budget of how much you want to spend would be helpful. I have found people have swapped out the tuners which is relatively easy. One thing you might want to try one the pickups is to put replace the volume and tone pots with 500k pots instead of the stock 250k. This brightens up the guitar considerably. A lot of people complain about the bass response and muddiness on these guitars esp on the neck pickup. An easy solution to try on the neck p/u is to lower the bass side so its flat with the pickguard and raise the individual E A D pole pieces. You can also lower the hidden polepieces on the E A D strings to clear up the sound (so more of the polepiece is showing). I tried both of these and def heard improvements. However I ended up sending the pickups off to a guy on the TDPRI forum who had found a way to reconstruct the old WRHB with alnico magnets instead. It was a little expensive but worth it in my opinion. Hope this helped!

6. In Tune

In Tune Member

Just happened to notice Youve got a fine amp there! Now lets get that Guitar to stay IN TUNE!!!!!!! :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

7. Jwoo

Jwoo Member

I have a 72 custom, but we have the same neck pickup. I changed my pots to 1 meg. I picked that value because the original 72s had that value. I know that we have a totally different pickup, but I like the sound of it.

8. winterheadphone

winterheadphone Member

Wow! Some great responses already.

I would be okay to spend $200-$500 dollars if my tone would be noticeably better. I don't want it to be bragging rights("I have blah blah blah in here....cost me 500 bucks"). I hate that!

9. jcbranam

jcbranam Supporting Member

If you want more info about the pickups I have in my tele feel free to send me a PM and I can give you more info about them.

10. tonefordays

tonefordays Member

I decided to bypass the WRHB deal all together and just picked up a Warmoth PG cut out for HBs.

11. In Tune

In Tune Member

:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh

12. winterheadphone

winterheadphone Member

So what do you guys suggest for a nut. I changed to graphite saddles when I purchased the guitar. Also, should I get locking tuners and, which brand will go best with the Deluxe. I would love it if I didn't have to drill the holes bigger. I've even considered changing out the neck to one with a rosewood fretboard. I prefer the feel and look of rosewood. Am I taking it too far? Is there a difference in sound between the woods?

13. In Tune

In Tune Member

If I were you I would start saving for a whole new ax......Lots of gits out there that are cool right out of the box......Your looking at large change to do this ax up ....Before you know it youve spent way more that its worth.....But thats just my two cents... :band

14. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I recently did a major mod job on mine:

Warmoth 24-3/4" scale neck (maple w/Rosewood board)

Kluson tuners

Duncan Antiquity humbuckers

New WD custom ordered white pearl pickguard to accomodate the regular sized humbuckers.

GraphTech Ferraglide saddles

GraphTech nut

A very nice, lightweight gigging axe.

It's a real BastardCaster....but I love it.

15. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

Roller style string trees can improve tuning.
    A pro set-up & fret dress by a talented tech always does wonders - it's worth every penny.
    FWIW, I'm hearing a buzz about these new titanium saddles that are supposed to add clarity to any fender style guitar. They're about $89.