Fender Telecaster Advice

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by johnpace2, Apr 14, 2015.

1. johnpace2

johnpace2 Supporting Member

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at a 2005-2006 (per the serial number) Fender American Standard Telecaster on my local Craigs List. It's black with maple fret board and is in good shape. The dude is asking $900, but I think it's worth more like $750 (mostly via ebay completed sales) and I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Also, I've heard that the 2013 and 2014 Fenders are pretty good. Anything to watch out for in the 2005-2006 years? I'll be able to play it before deciding, but I thought I'd try to do a little digging first.

Thanks for any advice, I'm mostly a Gibson guy.

John

2. Chris63

Chris63 Silver Supporting Member

700-750 if its stock and good shape.

3. johnpace2

johnpace2 Supporting Member

4. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

I agree. It is a buyers market right now. Shoot an offer - do a lot of shopping you can get exactly what you want for what you want to pay. When I buy used I alway ask myself if I could sell it the next day for the same price. If not, I walk away.

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

You actually might be better off buying new at Chuck's in Wheaton...or acting like it, and trying out a bunch.

6. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

You would do better buying used from GC. Search their site and you will find lots of used Telecasters in the $700-$800 range. You will have to pay tax and shipping, but you get that 30 day money back guarantee, minus the shipping if you return it. You can even return it to your local GC. I'm done with Craigslist dreamers selling used guitars for more than stores charge and where you're stuck with it the moment you hand over the cash.

I don't know about you, but I have a hard time really knowing if I'll bond with a guitar in the 5 minutes you sit with it in some guys house while he stares at you. It's a great thing to have that 30 day guarantee.

7. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

The price doesn't seem too bad. I see lots of HWY 1 Teles going for $600 - 700 these days, and the American Standard was supposed to be a step up from that (new). If you can get him to come down $100 from his asking price I'd think you'd have a pretty good deal.

8. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

$900 is a little steep. I really like American Standards, but a used one from 2012-today would be more in line with a $900 tag, though $800 is more reasonable being that they go on sale at GC for $1050 new often.